New modem - No connection

Vanilla

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005
Hi,

I recently installed a new modem, and although the modem lights up as if it is working properly, I cannot connect to the internet. Windows tells me that there is limited or no connection. I have tried resetting the modem, rebooting the computer, disabling and enabling the connection, turning off firewalls, and installing Windows update KB884020. I thought it was basically a plug and play modem, but it doesn´t seem to work. The manual isn´t very helpful, and the CD that came with the modem only had PDF files of the manual.... no drivers or anything. I tried looking for drivers on the internet, but could not find any. Any help would be much appreciated.

I´m using Windows XP and the modem is XAVi X8821r. No router. I tried typing in 192.168.1.1 into Internet Explorer as the manual suggests, but nothing came up.

Under the connection properties it tells me my IP is 169.xxx.xx.xxx and the subnet is 255.xxx.x.x if that is of any use at all. Oh, and when I try to "Repair" the connection, it just hangs at "Renewing IP Address." Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Thanks.

G

First, a 169.xxx.xx.xxx IP address is a private IP address assigned by Windows when it can't get one from a DHCP server. You could try manually setting an IP address like 192.168.1.10 and try connecting to the modem.

Grumpy

sturm

Splendid
Did you contact the cable internet company to assign your new mac address on the new modem to your account? thats probably why your not getting a connection. The Mac addresses dont match up.

TRENDING THREADS