Win XP says that a file is not there

I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.

I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it comfive.for.

How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

    Go here! http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
    > and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
    > file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
    > Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
    >
    > I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
    > comfive.for.
    >
    > How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
    > --
    > Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    > Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

    com5 (with any or no extension) is an illegal file name because com# (along
    with some others including prn, lpt#, aux) are reserved for devices.
    Richard's suggestion is well worth a try, but I suspect will probably fail
    because the issue isn't an open file, but an illegal one. If it does,
    here's 2 alternate suggestions
    1. In a command prompt try renaming it using a wild card for example
    >ren *.for zzz
    2. Run chkdsk /f This may recognize an invalid file and delete it.
    --

    "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
    > and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
    > file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
    > Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
    >
    > I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
    > comfive.for.
    >
    > How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
    > --
    > Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    > Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

    Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
    DelFXPFiles which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
    have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have "reserved
    names" in their name, like in your case com5

    hth

    george

    "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
    > and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
    > file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
    > Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
    >
    > I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
    > comfive.for.
    >
    > How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
    > --
    > Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    > Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

    That's a good find! Thanks.

    --

    "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
    > DelFXPFiles which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
    > have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have
    > "reserved names" in their name, like in your case com5
    >
    > hth
    >
    > george
    >

    > "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which
    >>exists
    >> and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that
    >> the
    >> file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
    >> Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
    >>
    >> I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
    >> comfive.for.
    >>
    >> How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
    >> --
    >> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    >> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    >> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:26:02 +0200, "george"
    <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote:

    | Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
    | which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
    | have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have "reserved
    | names" in their name, like in your case com5
    |
    | hth
    |
    | george
    |

    | "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
    | >I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
    | > and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
    | > file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
    | > Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
    | >
    | > I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
    | > comfive.for.
    | >
    | > How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
    | > --
    | > Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    | > Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    | > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

    Thanks :-) DelFXPFiles deleted it no problem :-)

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
    http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Windows XP Microsoft Command Prompt