Win XP says that a file is not there

May 7, 2005 9:13:34 PM

I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.

I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it comfive.for.

How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

More about : win file

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:13:35 PM

Go here! http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
> and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
> file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
> Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
>
> I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
> comfive.for.
>
> How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
> --
> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.
May 7, 2005 9:13:35 PM

com5 (with any or no extension) is an illegal file name because com# (along
with some others including prn, lpt#, aux) are reserved for devices.
Richard's suggestion is well worth a try, but I suspect will probably fail
because the issue isn't an open file, but an illegal one. If it does,
here's 2 alternate suggestions
1. In a command prompt try renaming it using a wild card for example
>ren *.for zzz
2. Run chkdsk /f This may recognize an invalid file and delete it.
--

"Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
> and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
> file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
> Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
>
> I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
> comfive.for.
>
> How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
> --
> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.
Related resources
May 8, 2005 4:26:02 AM

Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
DelFXPFiles which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have "reserved
names" in their name, like in your case com5

hth

george

"Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
> and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
> file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
> Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
>
> I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
> comfive.for.
>
> How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
> --
> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.
May 8, 2005 4:26:03 AM

That's a good find! Thanks.

--

"george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o BnzCP1UFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
> DelFXPFiles which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
> have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have
> "reserved names" in their name, like in your case com5
>
> hth
>
> george
>

> "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which
>>exists
>> and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that
>> the
>> file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
>> Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
>>
>> I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
>> comfive.for.
>>
>> How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
>> --
>> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
>> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
>> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:54:48 PM

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:26:02 +0200, "george"
<anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote:

| Go to http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/index.htm and get
| which will allow you to delete files and directories that may
| have (been created with) "special" characters in them or that have "reserved
| names" in their name, like in your case com5
|
| hth
|
| george
|

| "Dave Fawthrop" <hyphen@hyphenologist.co.uk> wrote in message
| >I have a file from way back in the MSDOS Days called com5.for, which exists
| > and is the right length. Both Windows XP and Command prompt say that the
| > file does not exist. Also I can not open it with my programmers editor.
| > Also it causes an error on Nero InCD copies.
| >
| > I have recovered the data from a very old backup and called it
| > comfive.for.
| >
| > How do I get rid of the copy called com5.for
| > --
| > Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
| > Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
| > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Thanks :-) DelFXPFiles deleted it no problem :-)

--
!