I need a bit of help o/cing my Opteron 165

-pete-

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hey guys, I hope you lot can help me out a bit, this is my first real attempt at over clocking and I kinda need a hand to get it running as fast as it could. I'm far from a total nub when it comes to computers but I can't seem to get my clock speed to anything near what I think its capable of.

Here are the specs for my system, each linking to the exact item I have:

AMD Opteron 165 from komplett (I'm using the stock cooling that came with it)
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 Mobo from dabs
Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2), DDR PC3200 from Crucial
Black Diamond Power Supply 12cm Fan, 20/24 Pin, SLI 2x6pin, 500Watt from komplett

Now when I install it with everything on defaults I get the following from CPU-Z

cpu-z.jpg

So I'm only running at 1852 Mhz, which afaik is really slow for this chip right?

The thing is that I don't really know what to change in my bois to get the speed up, there seems to be so many names for things and so many different ratios it seems to be hard to know whats what.

Here is what my bios looks like (apologies for the mental size but i wanted to make sure you could see everything):

bios1.JPG

bios2.JPG

So I can change my HT freqency ratio up to 5x and my K8 CPU ratio up to 9x, what would be the best way to set this up? Would it be better to go for a lower clock speed but crank up the multiplier? Would my memory be able to cope with overclocking?

At the moment I have cranked my CPU frequency up to about a maxiumum of 214 before I am unable to boot into windows, this doesn't seem very fast to me :( I know my motherboard is getting on a bit so is it likely to be whats holding me back? How do these ram timings work? and would i best of setting them manually? If so what values should I use (if anyone could point me to a good topic at explaining these things that I'll be very grateful)

The bios is telling me that with default settings my cpu temps are around 30 to 40, I've never had it much higher than that even when i have being trying to overclock so I doubt that its over heating.

So anyone know what i should replace/change to get my speeds up, I really want to be pushing at least 2.5 Ghz.

coverfire

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
I have an opty 170 so you can try these settings and see where it gets ya.

Set HT frequency to 3x

CPU Frequency to 209mhz

Clock Ratio to 9x

That got me to 2.5ghz stable but in your case running at 1.8ghz instead of 2ghz like my opty 170 I honestly don't know where you would end up because I'm still confused on what I times by what and divide by what and yadda yadda.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I run a 170... It gets to 2.7 on cheap cooling without voltage bumps. Hits 2.8 on air with safe voltages...

You'll be dropping your HTT multiplier to 3x. You'll drop your CPU/RAM ratio down too unless you have DDR500. And you'll be raising the CPU Frequency slowly testing for stability with Prime95 or Orthos.

Read this:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/a64ochowto/