Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo without Reformat?

Last response: in Storage
May 7, 2007 5:11:24 PM

Is there anyway that I can install my new motherboard and processor without reformatting and reinstalling windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am due to receive my new c2d and gigabyte ds3 on wednesday and really don't feel like backing up all my stuff. Thanks. Upgrading from skt939.

More about : mobo reformat

May 7, 2007 11:08:11 PM

I've seen articles on how to do this but most people would likely advise doing a clean install because if you don't you're more likely to end up with driver issues. I did it one time by first uninstalling all the drivers and at start up wiht the new mobo reinstalling them and it worked but the I then did a clean install. Just wanted to see what would happen
May 10, 2007 5:01:15 AM

Quote:
I've seen articles on how to do this but most people would likely advise doing a clean install because if you don't you're more likely to end up with driver issues. I did it one time by first uninstalling all the drivers and at start up wiht the new mobo reinstalling them and it worked but the I then did a clean install. Just wanted to see what would happen
Yeah, i did it ~ a month ago. On a 19 month old XP-Pro install. I changed RAM in Feb/06..Video Card in Mar/06(R9600XT to 6800GS), then from an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe/P4 to an ASRock 775 Dual VSTA/P-D 915...then threw in an E6600 a couple weeks later(after Apr. price cuts). I reinstalled Windows over top(not the most elegant solution)...then had to download all updates again...redo all my settings/services, etc. and reactivate. MS activated it no problems, but at least i didn't lose my hundreds of bookmarks. Whew!! :wink:
Related resources
May 10, 2007 5:34:54 AM

You could try it. If it doesn't work then you'll have to format.

And in case the reason you were asking was because you were worried about losing your bookmarks, you could always export your bookmarks. :p 
May 10, 2007 5:51:19 AM

Quote:
You could try it. If it doesn't work then you'll have to format.

And in case the reason you were asking was because you were worried about losing your bookmarks, you could always export your bookmarks. :p 
Never works for me. I've saved the "bookmarks" file in Firefox....then i replace the new version with it, and it only gives me a handful. :cry: 
May 10, 2007 7:59:57 AM

Really? Do you use the import function to put them back or copy them to the bookmarks folder? I always export then use import and they are always there. Weird.
May 10, 2007 8:51:36 AM

Quote:
Really? Do you use the import function to put them back or copy them to the bookmarks folder? I always export then use import and they are always there. Weird.
Copy to folder....I guess maybe that's my problem. :oops: 
May 10, 2007 9:15:32 AM

Not sure. Give it a shot next time and see if it works. :) 
!