Create My Documents in other HDD

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Is it possible to create registered 'My Documents' folder in other HDD instead of in Documents and Settings?

I also have some problem with 'my music' folder.... I once deleted the folder as I thought I won't use it.... Later on when I bought an iPod, iTunes told me that it can not be loaded as I don't have 'my music' folder

I thought it should not be a problem so I just make a new folder under My Documents and named it 'My Music'... However, iTunes does not recognize the new folder and I thought it has not been registered yet....

Any idea how to overcome this?

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
is it:

Start menu-> Right click my documents -> properties -> you can then adjust the location that it points to, i.e. d:\

This is for corporate environment anyway.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
is it:

Start menu-> Right click my documents -> properties -> you can then adjust the location that it points to, i.e. d:\

This is for corporate environment anyway.

Thank you for your advice, it seems working but I haven't try it as I have to move my files first.

Do you have any idea about my music?

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
If re-creating the My Music folder in my documents hasn't worked.. you could try creating a new user (control panel-> user accounts), which will have a fresh my documents folder.. you can then copy your profile to it by:

1. Right click my computer
2. Left click properties
3. Goto advanced tab
4. User profiles settings
5. Copy your profile over to new profile.

Log in under new user.. if all seems ok you can then delete your old user profile and rename the new one.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for the advice... I'm testing it now, hope everything alright...

Anyway, it seems when you want to choose copy to... you have to log on into the other user account first, is this correct?

I normally do this manually through copying from document and settings folder... but not all settings that I've made transferred successfully... so let me check this one...

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Yeh, I think you do have to login to the new a/c first.. and then do the copy after.. you may have to do the copy when you are logged into a totally seperate a/c with admin rights. Havn't done this since september so am a bit rusty.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I've tried to make 2 other user and use the second one to transfer profiles from the original account to the second one but it doesn't work. So I tried to log into the third account and try to copy from the original to the second as well but it doesn't work.

While it tries to transfer the profile, things like outlook still blank and the size of the profile is only 300MB compared to the original 4GB anyway....

I will try to make a limited non admin account and transfer again.... I'll post if there's any change in the result

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
What do you mean when you say it doesn't work? Is there an error? Or are the boxes greyed out?

You could try manually copying everything to the new profile, just make sure you can see the hidden files and folders.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
It's copying without any information on how many files has been copied and after a while the buttons become available again (before that the button was on process mode). Once available I think the copy is finished but it doesn't show me any information.

However when I check the files, there's not many files transfered and the profile didn't copy the original profile.

I'll try the manual way... Is it correct that the outlook settings won't automatically transfered to the new profile? I know the manual way and I believe that I tried it before. My problem is my company email settings was being arranged by out IT dept and I don't know the settings and password.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Which outlook are you using? Is it Outlook Express or Outlook.

MS Outlook stores it's files in a hidden folder:

C:\Documents & Settings\<username>\application data\Microsoft\Outlook\

you could try manually copying them to the new profile and then try logging in and running outlook to see if it picks up the settings ok.

You could also try copying the profile in safe mode. I know this process definately copies over individual settings (e.g. desktop shortcuts) but you may still need to move your files (e.g. music).

TRENDING THREADS