hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Recently my OS got screwed up and my pc wouldnt boot. It would freeze at startup and say "ntldr missing." My neighbor gave me a Windows XP SP 2 disc to reinstall the OS. With the disc I was able to get past that and boot off the disc. I deleted the old partition and formatted a newone. When the disc went to do the initial install setup it stopped because it couldnt find a file (cyycochains.ctm). I hit esc to skip this file but it kept stopping at missing files. My question is do I have a bad Windows disc or could there be something wrong with the pc? also now that it did this I don't know how to delete the partial install on the partition and try to start over. As soon as I turn the pc on it skips to the xp installation screen and then freezes when it can't find the file. Any help is appreciated this PC is driving me insane!

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
That link was pretty helpful but alot of those options I can't get to. When I put the XP cd in and press "any key to boot", it boots and skips past the delete partition and recovery section and goes to the finishing installation screen. How can I delete the partial install so that it will start from the beginning of the installation?

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
It's a Maxtor D740X 6-L HDD I think it's either a 60 or 80 GB. I just found a hdd eraser program at the maxtor site so im going to try that for now.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That link was pretty helpful but alot of those options I can't get to. When I put the XP cd in and press "any key to boot", it boots and skips past the delete partition and recovery section and goes to the finishing installation screen. How can I delete the partial install so that it will start from the beginning of the installation?

The only way I know to get rid of the partial install is a full format of the drive