Sign in with
Your question

Transfer of files from windows95 to windows7

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 29, 2010 9:07:56 PM

I wish to move files from windows 95 on PS2 with floppy drive only to laptop windows 7. any ideas
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2010 1:58:12 PM

You can buy an adaptor to plug the hard drive into your laptop via the USB port... that is probably the easiest option. Look for an IDE / SATA to USB adaptor.
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2010 3:32:16 PM

Why not just move the files over the network? Share out the drive on the Windows 95 machine and then just copy the files that you want.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 5:13:52 PM

That's the best solution... if you've got a home network set up. Of course, the OP didn't mention it one way or the other... so I was going on the assumption he didn't have one.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 5:39:04 PM

True. As he said it was a PS2 it may not even have an IDE hard drive! If so a LapLink type connection would be the only option.
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 5:37:31 PM

Ugh... yeah... I hadn't even considered that possibility. It amazes me sometimes when I think about the kind of hardware we used to use way back in the DOS / Windows 3.1 days. Seeing circuit boards with actual wires running around to make connections... we've come a long way.
February 5, 2010 2:53:30 AM

Actually a zero software option would be to use Direct cable connection on the Windows 95 computer (as the host) and Hyperterminal(or the equivalent? I only know as far as XP.) on the Vista machine (as a Direct Cable Connection "guest") then load away. Check the Windows help system or post back for more help...
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2010 7:13:21 AM

...basically the LapLink type connection that I suggested. That of course assumes that the two machines have some ports in common!
!