nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I just completed a computer build recently using the AM2 socket MSI K9N Neo-F motherboard and 5000+ X2 processor. The cpu installed fine, but the cooler was extremely hard to clip on both sides, and then i couldn't flip the lever. it seemed to be on there pretty solid, as i couldn't move it. Also, the motherboard looked like it was bending in the middle, which scared me a little bit. The computer runs fine, but the cpu idles at 40 C (core temp). Is this normal? Should I upgrade the cpu fan, and if I do, how would I get the stock fan off?

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I just completed a computer build recently using the AM2 socket MSI K9N Neo-F motherboard and 5000+ X2 processor. The cpu installed fine, but the cooler was extremely hard to clip on both sides, and then i couldn't flip the lever. it seemed to be on there pretty solid, as i couldn't move it. Also, the motherboard looked like it was bending in the middle, which scared me a little bit. The computer runs fine, but the cpu idles at 40 C (core temp). Is this normal? Should I upgrade the cpu fan, and if I do, how would I get the stock fan off?

So you did not flip the lever over yet?
If not, you should. It takes a bit of pressure to snap the clip into place, then flip the lever over sort of like a can opener. Push it over with your thumb and kinda stablize it with your finger at the same time. You should have the full pressure on there that it gets when the lever is locked, because when the paste gets warm it'll soften up and the heatsink will become looser.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
If you're still uncertain, maybe you can post an image of how you HSF is placed, so we can take a look.

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I have the MSI K9 platinum with the same x2 5000+

When I put it together it sorta scared me at first cause I was afraid that I would break my mobo as well. The fit was very tight. But, in the end, my computer is running fine, totally assembled.

My advise to you, just hold your breath and put some muscle into it. You should be fine.

4745454b

Titan
You didn't state how you assembled the computer. I find it much easier to install the HSF if the motherboard is outside of the case. This way I can help guide the clips into position if they need it. It might seem like a PITA, but take the motherboard out of the case and get the heatsink on correctly.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
4745454b: I did install it outside of the case, just not flipping the lever over. Actually the build was for a friend, I'll have to see when I can get over there to try it. Otherwise I might just recommend that he buys another heatsink for me to install. Thanks for the tips!