reaction speed test

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake,alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

> reaction time

All the same I would imagine (I am _JUST_ responding to reaction time).

A programme investigated Michael Schumacher, racing driver, 6 times Formula
1 champion on this very topic. They proved that his reaction times weren't
any better than any other human.

So why is he better racing driver than most others?
What they managed to show was that Michael was picking up visual clues
earlier than others and so it _appeared_ that he had faster reaction times.
I am not a great fan of his, but is renowned to be a thinker on the circuit.
For example, steering his car so it deliberately goes through a patch of
water, to cool his tires. He knows that in 30 mins, the circuit will be
hotter due to the sun.

It could be that the top fps gamers are "noticing" changes in shadows,
background sounds, light changes and alter their paths accordingly.

Stephen Howe

Actually its very true that better awareness makes u a better fps gamer.
It helps you determine how to react to any given situation. But reaction
time is a factor in the faster paced games.

"LaZal2uS" <prnzchrm26@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> But reaction
> time is a factor in the faster paced games.

Like Shogo. Which is a very fast paced game especially if the server host
speeds up the run speed!

Yes that old game from 1998 which only a few diehard holdouts still play
online anymore.

David

"Stephen Howe" <stephenPOINThoweATtns-globalPOINTcom> wrote in message
> > reaction time
>
> All the same I would imagine (I am _JUST_ responding to reaction time).
>
> A programme investigated Michael Schumacher, racing driver, 6 times
Formula
> 1 champion on this very topic. They proved that his reaction times weren't
> any better than any other human.
>
> So why is he better racing driver than most others?
> What they managed to show was that Michael was picking up visual clues
> earlier than others and so it _appeared_ that he had faster reaction
times.
> I am not a great fan of his, but is renowned to be a thinker on the
circuit.
> For example, steering his car so it deliberately goes through a patch of
> water, to cool his tires. He knows that in 30 mins, the circuit will be
> hotter due to the sun.
>
> It could be that the top fps gamers are "noticing" changes in shadows,
> background sounds, light changes and alter their paths accordingly.

It's not really reaction time that's key in games like Quake (that is, if
everyone has about the same reaction time, it can't be an important
differentiator), it's really practiced skill (in terms of, when something
DOES happen, having the appropriate response be reflexive), as well as
experience, map knowledge, etc. Item control, knowing when to probe, flee,
or attack, knowing the "angles" of the level for appropriate points to shoot
at (to hit opponents hiding just around a corner, for instance), and
numerous other factors are more important than sheer reaction time.

I'd agree that it's unlikely that excellent gamers actually have faster
reaction times, it's just that what they do when the do react (as well as
long before there's anything to react to) is so much smarter and more
practiced than an inexperienced player that it may SEEM like they can react
faster. And, as you say, picking up subtle cues (sounds, distant changes in
light or shadow) other than actually seeing an opponent directly can make
them appear to be aware of another player before they should be visible (or
just guessing where that player will be heading and how long it will take
them to get there).

grieve

"Shogo" <hsternak@nospamyahooxxx.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "LaZal2uS" <prnzchrm26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > But reaction
> > time is a factor in the faster paced games.
>
> Like Shogo. Which is a very fast paced game especially if the server host
> speeds up the run speed!
>
> Yes that old game from 1998 which only a few diehard holdouts still play
> online anymore.
>
> David

" Yes that old game from 1998 which only a few diehard holdouts still play
online anymore "

Yeah, of course. Last time I found exactly 1000 avtive Quake 2 servers with
All-Seeing Eye.
Quake 2 is still among the top 15 or so of all online games.

Kinda awesome for an old game from 1998.
But be asure its not " only a few diehard holdouts" :)

"Grieve" <xtoon@tacheles.de> wrote in message

> Yeah, of course. Last time I found exactly 1000 avtive Quake 2 servers
with
> All-Seeing Eye.
> Quake 2 is still among the top 15 or so of all online games.

methinks he was talking about Shogo, not q2 ;op

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:25:54 +0100, Stephen Howe wrote:

=)> reaction time
=)
[...]

IMO Racing isn't so much about reaction time as knowing and hitting the
perfect time to turn much like knowing the perfect time to jump in mario
bros rather than reacting to changing situations around you.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:49:55 +1000, dave wrote:

=)
=) IMO Racing isn't so much about reaction time as knowing and hitting the
=) perfect time to turn much like knowing the perfect time to jump in mario
=) bros rather than reacting to changing situations around you.

Knowing the perfect time to jump to clear a gap, i was a bit vague

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

"It could be that the top fps gamers are "noticing" changes in shadows,
=) background sounds, light changes and alter their paths accordingly."
This is true, amongst other things. ;)