which pocket pc to buy?

August 3, 2005 11:55:23 AM

There is so much information on the internet, I am getting very
confused !! I have Outlook 2002 SP3 at work, running on Windows XP. I
want to buy a PDA just for carrying around my contacts and calendar. I
don't need a phone, a camera, music, videos, internet, or email. Just
my phone numbers and appts. I'd appreciate a suggestion for an
inexpensive PDA that works easily with Windows Outlook 2002, and
perhaps doesn't need any software installed. My PC at work has
security which does not allow me to install software unless I get the
permission of about 100 people.
Thanks,
Manny

More about : pocket buy

August 3, 2005 3:17:09 PM

I know this is a MS group but if you just want to carry your contacts 99% of
all the PPC will do this, as far as install software goes that's another
story. Have a look at one of the Palm Zires, there cheap.
August 3, 2005 5:07:44 PM

HotRod wrote:
> I know this is a MS group but if you just want to carry your contacts 99% of
> all the PPC will do this, as far as install software goes that's another
> story. Have a look at one of the Palm Zires, there cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about a Zire because my daughter
has one. I was thinking of buy a Pocket Pc because I thought I
wouldn't have to install any software, being that it is already a
Windows product. But I could be very wrong about that !!
Manny
August 4, 2005 2:46:31 AM

"Manny" <mannybraff@aol.com> wrote in message

> HotRod wrote:
>> I know this is a MS group but if you just want to carry your contacts 99%
>> of
>> all the PPC will do this, as far as install software goes that's another
>> story. Have a look at one of the Palm Zires, there cheap.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about a Zire because my daughter
> has one. I was thinking of buy a Pocket Pc because I thought I
> wouldn't have to install any software, being that it is already a
> Windows product. But I could be very wrong about that !!
> Manny

What software would you want/need? And how seriously do you use them? As an
example a ppc includes pocket excel but it is very restricted compared to
desktop excel- no graphs for starters.
August 4, 2005 1:49:22 PM

I think no matter what you buy you would need to install some software. I
have yet to install a PPC or Palm that didn't need some software. Anyone
else?

> There is so much information on the internet, I am getting very
> confused !! I have Outlook 2002 SP3 at work, running on Windows XP. I
> want to buy a PDA just for carrying around my contacts and calendar. I
> don't need a phone, a camera, music, videos, internet, or email. Just
> my phone numbers and appts. I'd appreciate a suggestion for an
> inexpensive PDA that works easily with Windows Outlook 2002, and
> perhaps doesn't need any software installed. My PC at work has
> security which does not allow me to install software unless I get the
> permission of about 100 people.
> Thanks,
> Manny

August 4, 2005 3:49:00 PM

HotRod wrote:
> I think no matter what you buy you would need to install some software. I
> have yet to install a PPC or Palm that didn't need some software. Anyone
> else?

All I need is my Outlook calendar and Outlook contacts. Maybe I should
just buy an old fashioned calendar and write in it!! Having to install
software is a problem. My company will certainly approve it, but I
have to wait for a tech person to get to my name on a list, and that
could take months. I didn't have to install any software to copy to my
little MP3 player. It just plugged into the USB of my computer. I
guess pocket pc software is more complicated. I thought I could just
copy a csv file using the USB port.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:56:14 PM

On 3 Aug 2005 07:55:23 -0700, mannybraff@aol.com wrote:

>There is so much information on the internet, I am getting very
>confused !! I have Outlook 2002 SP3 at work, running on Windows XP. I
>want to buy a PDA just for carrying around my contacts and calendar. I
>don't need a phone, a camera, music, videos, internet, or email. Just
>my phone numbers and appts. I'd appreciate a suggestion for an
>inexpensive PDA that works easily with Windows Outlook 2002,

I used Palms for a long time, now a PPC user. For the purpose you
describe you'll find a Palm a lot simpler straight out of the box.
With Pocket Mirror installed you'll be able to sync with Outlook.

Although the PPC is a more capable machine, the OS is sluggish
compared with Palm and PPC Active Sync ain't anywhere as stable as
Palm Hotsync. You'll find that contacts finding, and selecting is a
lot quicker on a Palm, even the lower end ones. My Dell 624 MHz
machine is a lot slower in general operation that my Palm (400 MHz).

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html
!