compbug

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hello Friends,

my C drive is showing some strange behavior these days.

The free space in the C drive is getting reduced. C drive is allocated 10GB.
the total space used by all the Files and folders installed in C drive is 5.2GB.

but it says 9.2GB through Properties. and the worst thing is the free space is getting reduced each day.

I have turned OFF system restore on all drives..

but still what is the reason for this peculiar behavior?

if this continues I could not even BOOT the system because of NO SPACE in C drive :(

thanks friends

sturm

Splendid
You more than likely have a virus. I had one on my dads computer that duplicated a 37kb file over and over and over. Finally got them all deleted and the main file removed. Freed up a couple of gig.

Check this site for a program that will show you your disk usage. You might be able to see whats using all the space.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
free anti virus makers themselves tell you they offer no security or ganrantee with them ;)

download and installNod32 Free 30 Day Trial

then make its settings like this:

nod settings
nodsettings.png

then download and install spysweeper

make its settings like this:

SS settings
71885484oq6.png

now do a scan first with nod then after nod is done with SS.

lets see what you got

compbug

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
hello dudes,

yeah even I too suspect Virus for this peculiar behavior. but I have an Update Zone Labs security suit. that says no Virus or spy wares found.

I am confused now......

don'tt you guys trust Zone Labs security Suit?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
boss you came here asking us so we told you.

not only do I not trust your za (BTW is it freeware) but also if a system is suspected of being infected the last thing you do is trust the apps including security on that PC ;)

now how about you take 20 minutes and do the scans I recommended so you can help yourself ;)

you always have to make sure, if you take it step by step and do it right then you can go forward much faster ;)

step one, make sure the PC is clean don't guess it is ;)

ZL's firewall can be freeware (there is a paid version) but I believe you must purchase the Security Suite. My ISP provides it for free upon request. (They email you a key code which you must use or the trial version expires).

compbug

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
yeah Dude,

I have Licensed version of Zone Labs Security Suit......

anyway I ran that and I found out that Lots of files with .CHK extensions were kept on accumulating and those were created during scanning...

and I deleted most of the files and now I have 3GB free space in C drive... and I guess there wont be any such serious problems from now on.

and thanks for the information you guys provided on windirsts.. that helped me:)

thanks guys...

I get back if I get any problems :eek:

TRENDING THREADS