Incoming DX10 game soon

Near future could mean anything though.

So by the time it does come out it could very well be games , since FSX is suppsed to Launch SP1 early summer (barring any major bugs, currently on Beta4);
"This should not significantly delay the release of SP1, because we expect to take only 1-2 more builds before having an RC for RTW. Then we final test, then we ship. We will ship SP1 in the month of May."

Which means it should be to people next month if on schedule.

Also Supreme Commander DX10 patch is supposed to be here by the same time period, and Company of Heroes is adding DX10 in patch 1.7 which is due 'shortly'.

So there's 4 titles coming 'soon', the question is how soon is 'soon'?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
So by the time it does come out it could very well be games , since FSX is suppsed to Launch SP1 early summer (barring any major bugs, currently on Beta4);
"This should not significantly delay the release of SP1, because we expect to take only 1-2 more builds before having an RC for RTW. Then we final test, then we ship. We will ship SP1 in the month of May."

You are talking f.s.x. arent you. if so then WOOhoo.

Oh wait I,ll need vista for that.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I believe the FSX sp1 does NOT include the dx10 upgrade, it just enhances some effeciency issues the game has and allows multiple threads for multi core procs. I believe the DX10 upgrade isn't supposed to be out until octoberish

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FSX SP1 is DX9. FSX DX10 version development has been pushed back in order to release SP1 (DX9) - check Phil Taylor's blog (PM).

No release date is given for FSX DX10 version other than M$ hope to make the holiday season. M$ have been working on SP1 since October last year and hope to get the SP1 out this month (May) -- 7-8 month period which is pretty quick by M$ terms.

If we apply the same time schedule, end of this year is doable, but I suspect that DX10 issues along the way will push the FSX DX10 til early 2008.

Rob.

Yeah it seems to have changed since the last time I had checked and while they were originally putting it with SP1, now it seems to be targeted with the expansion pack, which sucks considering it too was supposed to be a launch title in DX10 like Halo2PC.

So delayed from launch to SP1 and now to the Expansion pack. :?

wait so all this patches for company of heroes and call of Juarez will be for vista only right?

I would think unless there's some bug fixes at the same time it'll just be Vista, but no matter what the DX10 version will be just Vista.

What may happen is like for CoH 1.7a is for Vista with DX10 and 1.7b is for XP and Win2K just for bug fixes etc.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
M$ is rolling the big leverage dice, will it be a bust or a must. I wonder how many here really understand just how important this DX10 leverage is to M$ (especially now that Vista sales have been confirmed to be much worse than expected).

If the games can't move people to Vista, M$ will have to release DX10 for WinXP -- but I've got a very reliable source that has seen DX10 (not actually called that internally) alpha builds for WinXP. Is M$ covering themselves in case the leverage fails and they have to go into salvage mode release a DX10 version for WinXP? Which would start a major Vendor scramble to get drivers out for XP.

My prediction is:
1. DX10 games will start to roll around Xmas time.
2. Floods of screenshots will be all over the internet
3. Many more rounds of driver updates
4. Turning on all the cool FX brings frame rates into the <10 fps range even on overclocked CPUs and 8800GTX cards (or better)
5. Lots of pissed off people cause they just dropped a chunk of change to upgarde hardware and software to Vista to play DX10 games only to see the realization that the GPU and developers still have a long way to go before you start to see those lovely high FPS like they had from DX9 titles.

You'll have the standard posts from people that WILL enjoy their experience regardless cause they just spent a ton of cash. The graphics detail sliders will move back to the left more and more as people attempt to recover frame rates (per DX9).

Those more prudent with their cash will sit back and watch the show, but it's a catch-22, if everyone sits back to watch the show, the show will consist primarily of exhibit type A posters -- aka ALL IS GREAT BUY IT NOW regardless of the actual reality.

Either way, it'll be fun to watch this place light up like a Xmas tree.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I think you're missing the point around DX10, namely the vastly improved efficiencies. A properly coded DX10 program even with greater visual effects should run faster on a DX10 capable card than it's DX9 cousin would on the DX9 version.

I am worried though that there is going to be this horrible crossover point where developers just try and shove as much detail in as possible at the expense of the performance gains which they themselves implemented into DX10 in consultation with MS.

MS will not admit defeat with Vista as it puts their whole strategy of a new OS every 24 months at risk.

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I agree with the_abyss, a dx10 game should be more efficient than it's dx9 counterpart if its coded correctly.

What would V8VENOM know about graphics anyway, he has an apple logo as his avatar :wink:

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't say anything about efficiency -- yes, Direct3D 10 brings some great functions to the table that if used correctly will aid performance --- such as Instancing 2.0 (which should reduce overhead for similar object types) and texture arrays (this is big benefit for getting better quality transition from low to high resolution textures) and state object to enable more efficient GPU state changes. These are the features that will help performance.

Shader Model 4.0 and Geometry Shaders will not necessarily help performance any, they will open the creative door but I don't see them helping out performance.

But it'll take some time for developers to really figure out how to use these features effectively and then to see just how "Good" the current DX10 hardware really is (another big unknown). But the hype has many folks with unrealistic expectations of what DX10 can do in acceptable frame rates.

Yeah, my Apple logo -- I mean what does Apple know about graphics :roll:

Yeah they have this stupid thing called OpenGL that was around before Direct anything and is currently used in for Quake IV, Doom 3 and others. Ya know, that OpenGL thingy that was developer by Silicon Graphics Inc (yes SGI).

Then we have real time rendering done in professional grade apps like Final Cut Studio, Motion, Shake, etc. etc. -- I sure hope you were joking when you said "what does Apple know about graphics". But if you want to get informed you can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Direct3D_and_OpenGL

Rob.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I sure hope you were joking when you said "what does Apple know about graphics".

He means 3d graphics which mac are crap at,they may be good at 2d and comping (but I've never really noticed a massive jump in performance and you can buy pcs for dirt cheap and you dont have to pay for service packs)

No one uses macs for 3d I read a article in 3d world about maya now being able to run on macs there was a poll asking would anyone now switch to macs. In the next issue the results were about 7% would

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You do realize who SGI are right? You do know that OpenGL is 250 functions of which most are 3D related? You do know that Mac's meat and potato's market is 3D and 3D rendering? Some real time some not.

Can you even name the graphics cards options available for the MacPro?

Get your facts straight too:

Maya was developed by Alias. It was originally released for the IRIX operating system, and subsequently ported to the Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS X operating systems. IRIX support was discontinued after the release of version 6.5. When Autodesk acquired Alias in October 2005, they continued Maya development. The latest version, 8.5, was released in January 2007.

Pay for services packs? Huh, what planet you from? Apple don't release "service packs" and any "updates" that are released are 100% free -- oh wait, I got sucked into another Apple expert that doesn't even own a MacPro...why am I wasting time on this person.

Oh yeah, a Vette is cheaper than a Ferrari and about as fast, but I still want the Ferrari -- you got hardware envy or something?