Sign in with
Your question

HELP windows 98 wont install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 3, 2010 12:14:52 AM

ok i bought a used dell optiplex GX1 if you need any more info than that ask. ok i got this thing running and it has a dual boot option windows 2000/windows 98. If i select windows 2000 it will act like it is loading and then restart. if i load windows 98 it loads goes to the userf login, i press ESC because i do not know this womans password, and it say windows 98 is installing, it then goes to a scree that says WINDOWS 98 SETUP, then a pop up comes up that says setting up control panel. then it freezes, i still can move the mouse and select between the two windows, but it never loads, i have tried re booting to no avail, it has been on this screen now for almost three hours any suggestions?

More about : windows wont install

March 3, 2010 12:32:25 AM

Try to boot in Safe mode & See what happens!

or

Get the password from that lady, get in & change the password to your wish.

If she has windows 98 OS cd, get it form her & do a fresh install after back-up all needed data to an external drive or CD.
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:17:21 AM

cant enter safe mode, only gives that option for 2000
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2010 1:20:54 AM

Is windows 2000, loading successfully??

If not, Get the password & 98 OS CD, do a fresh install.
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:22:08 AM

no keeps restarting and i dont know the ladys number so that boots the password option out of the window and i do not have a 98 install disk, only 7 and vista
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:30:42 AM

Open up the case and have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. Normally, these should be completely flat on top; but if you notice any that are bulged or leaking, then they are bad and that is the source of your problem. You can replace the capacitors yourself if you're confident with a soldering iron... otherwise you can pay someone to do it for you. The other option is of course to replace the motherboard.

If the capacitors check out ok, then run Memtest. If memtest passes, then there is a chance your power supply is faulty. It would be helpful if you could disable automatic restart on error and see what the blue screen error is on Win 2000... as that might give us a better idea of what the issue might be.
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:32:36 AM

Zoron said:
Open up the case and have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. Normally, these should be completely flat on top; but if you notice any that are bulged or leaking, then they are bad and that is the source of your problem. You can replace the capacitors yourself if you're confident with a soldering iron... otherwise you can pay someone to do it for you. The other option is of course to replace the motherboard.

If the capacitors check out ok, then run Memtest. If memtest passes, then there is a chance your power supply is faulty. It would be helpful if you could disable automatic restart on error and see what the blue screen error is on Win 2000... as that might give us a better idea of what the issue might be.

ok how do i disable autorestart? and the mother board looks fine, i am a starting computer tech i checked the mother board and it looked fine, but i have never worked with 98 or 2000 so i am clueless when it comes to that
m
l
March 3, 2010 2:36:48 AM

ok done for the night still nothing gonna take it up later tommorrow night :)  good night all
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:54:49 AM

I told to get the 98 OS/recovery disk from your previous owner.
If she is using the legitimate copy of windows means she should have it.
m
l
March 3, 2010 6:18:53 AM

If you press F8 before booting into Windows 2000, you should have an option in the list that says "Disable automatic restart upon error". It is the same menu that you would use to get to safe mode... just a different option. You could then read off the blue screen error and it might give us a little more info.
m
l
March 11, 2010 3:57:32 AM

windows 98 Just put your name and your password and check OK
But windows 2000 do not work that way you will need her password ot get in!

Dual boot option windows 2000/windows 98.

When pick in windows 98 and at the time you see windows 98 press Ctrl + Shift
to go to Safe made.
When picking windows 2000 at the time you see windows 2000 press F8
to go to Safe made.

For win98 when you get to Safe made Click Start go to Settings Click Control Panel
in Control Panel click Passwords if Enable remote administration of this server need to be unclick
User Profiles need to be on All users of this......
Click OK
ReStart windows 98 Just put your name and your password and check OK
m
l
!