Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading HP desktop concerns

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 7, 2007 11:00:17 PM

Hey everyone,
I have an HP Pavilion d4790y
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can...
(Further specs down the page).

I want to add 2GB RAM to the 1GB I have, add an 8800GTX, and add a second monitor.

I was just wondering if anyone here thinks these would be a problem for that machine? Also, do I need anything extra for a second monitor, or will the 8800GTX support that?

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, I know it's not the HP forum. Their tech support hasn't quite come through yet, though, so I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.
May 7, 2007 11:23:42 PM

That 350W PSU certainly won't be enough.
May 7, 2007 11:24:44 PM

Well, any problem that I forsee is the GTX. That is quite a large card and your HP case may not fit the whole card....
otherwise, I do not see any problem with what you want to add.
Just make sure that you are getting the right ram for it and maybe post the whole system specs (Including the motherboard chipset). that way we can help you (if you need it) to find the right ram for your system.

Also, do a visual inspection of your computer to see what card slots are open. the gtx is big and probably will hog one extra slot nearby.

T.
Related resources
May 8, 2007 12:43:29 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone,
I have an HP Pavilion d4790y
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can...
(Further specs down the page).

I want to add 2GB RAM to the 1GB I have, add an 8800GTX, and add a second monitor.

I was just wondering if anyone here thinks these would be a problem for that machine? Also, do I need anything extra for a second monitor, or will the 8800GTX support that?

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, I know it's not the HP forum. Their tech support hasn't quite come through yet, though, so I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.


The page says that its a P965 based board

You WILL have to replace the power supply or get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will run the beast fine.

Since im so kind ill find out what kind of ram will fit your pc.
1min.


Okay then, this ram is certified for your PC. Any of the Links will do:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...

thats the 533mhz ones

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...
thats the 667s

Kingston is good, very good.


So get 2 sticks of the Kingston RAM (3gb sys total right?): $185

Thermaltake graphics card power supply $55
evga, bfg, or xfx 8800gtx gpu. Although, I wouldnt get more than an 8800GTS 640mb ever.

your welcome
May 8, 2007 1:15:44 AM

Quote:
Amazing stuff

You're my hero. Thanks so much for going out of your way!

And my thanks to kaotao and rabidbunny for your advice!

I'm still going to consider the GTS, I've been back and forth between it and the GTX. I mostly considering the GTX because I'm hoping to run on the card I get for a few years without having to upgrade, so I thought it might be worth it. I don't actually know what I'm talking about though, so if anyone thinks it's still not worth it, please chime in. I'd be glad to save the money :wink:
May 8, 2007 1:42:55 AM

nice work billdcat, I didn't quite have time to check everything out, glad you did.

Looks like that Kingston ram is quite expensive compared to what one may be able to get off of newegg.com. Probably any ddr2 533 or up (at least to 667mhz) should work fine, but maybe a bit cheaper than Kingston's ram. I have nothing against Kingston, but the egg has a lot to choose from and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 2gb kit for cheaper than two of those kingstons...

T.
May 8, 2007 2:19:20 AM

Quote:
nice work billdcat, I didn't quite have time to check everything out, glad you did.

Looks like that Kingston ram is quite expensive compared to what one may be able to get off of newegg.com. Probably any ddr2 533 or up (at least to 667mhz) should work fine, but maybe a bit cheaper than Kingston's ram. I have nothing against Kingston, but the egg has a lot to choose from and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 2gb kit for cheaper than two of those kingstons...

T.


Its not your fault, but thats quite incorrect. In my upgrading of my Dell XPS Gen3's ram I bought Corsair Value Ram rated at 533mhz PC2-4200, my systems specs. What I didnt know was that while the Corsair RAM had timings of 4-4-4-10, my Dells ram had timings of 4-4-4-11. Which basically meant that it nearly totaled my PC.

It took nearly 4mos for my PC to live again. Kingston along with other memory makers make special kits for OEM PCs such as your HP. A couple of days ago I found out that they make ram for my PC, but its not sold on the egg, and is $107 a gig.

So that should be a rule for adding RAM to OEM PCs: go to Kingston.com and check out what they recommend for that specific product. If you dont want to get Kingston, only get a product that has the same specs as the Kingston ram. If Kingston makes a special kit for that PC, regular ram wont work. Its one of the many drawbacks of buying from Dell or HP.
May 8, 2007 2:26:24 AM

Quote:
Amazing stuff

You're my hero. Thanks so much for going out of your way!

And my thanks to kaotao and rabidbunny for your advice!

I'm still going to consider the GTS, I've been back and forth between it and the GTX. I mostly considering the GTX because I'm hoping to run on the card I get for a few years without having to upgrade, so I thought it might be worth it. I don't actually know what I'm talking about though, so if anyone thinks it's still not worth it, please chime in. I'd be glad to save the money :wink:

If you value money more than boasting about framerates dont get an 8800GTX. Your power bill will thank you too.

What I would get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX Overclocked 7900gs $140 (my friend just ordered one)

If I had more cash:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
classic eVGA 8800GTS

Other very good cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sapphire X1950XT $190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sapphire X1950Pro 256mb $145

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
eVGA 7900gs 256mb $135 (130 yesterday?!?!)

ENJOY!
May 8, 2007 2:57:49 AM

Well, I do believe that newegg does have a 'ram selector' for specific systems...(that includes custom, dell, hp etc..) and it DOES in fact have the OP's hp EXACT system number. There's about 81 possible matches too..

Now, I do have an old dell 4550 that my parents bought Kingston valuram for. It wasn't supposed to work (the mobo specs say 1gb max with 2x512)
since it was a 1 gb stick, but it did. and it worked with my old 256 in there too....which wasn't supposed to work.

I'm just trying to find a cheaper RAM possibililty, but it sounds like it MUST be specific to his system...I did not know that for a fact (other than speed, and ddr generation(ddr, ddr2))

Also: on the graphics card situation, I think that maybe a GTX is pushing the whole system. I would go for a GTS at most, and maybe even a high end 7 series (I have a bfg 7600gt, while good for now it won't last much longer if I am to continue gaming.)

I dunno though. It all depends on how much teh OP wants to sink into this system....
Just curious, dx1 how much did that system you are going to upgrade cost you originally?

God, I wish I had MUCH more $$ to play with. I like building systems and want MORE!!! But, unfortunately my parents are happy with my ol' dell 4550 (which I modded btw). I wish that they would say, "hey, let's get a new computer". I DEFINATELY want to build another pc. ARGH! it gets to me...
May 8, 2007 3:13:44 AM

I already gave my GPU recommendations.

They is goodly
!