Is my planned system Vista ready?

Apd41785

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I think I've finished my planned list for my new gaming PC. Now I'm deciding on my OS. While I will definitely have Vista sometime in the future after building the PC, I'm no sure if right now is the right time. In any case, I want to make sure my PC is Vista ready for whenever I do get it. I'd appreciate any feedback as to my system compatability with Vista (both 64 and 32 bit as I'm not sure which I would install). I've been through the hardware list sticky and found that not all of my parts are listed there. I realize that it's not an all-inclusive list, but I'm having trouble finding out if all my parts are Vista-compatible. Thanks in advance.

(Main links are to manufacturers' sites. Newegg sites are just for info, although I'll probably buy most of the parts through them)
Monitor: Viewsonic vx2035wm (Newegg)
Case: Antec 900 (Newegg)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W (Black) (Newegg)
HDD: WD RE 250GB 7200RPM (Newegg) (2 of them in RAID 1 config)
DVD-ROM: LG DVD-ROM Drive Model GDR-8146BK
DVD Burner: Plextor PX-800A (Newegg)
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (Newegg)
Speakers: Altec Lansing vs4221 (Newegg) (I currently have no physical place to put 7.1 surround, will upgrade in future, hence the sound card)
Keyboard/Mouse: Kensington PilotBoard Laser Wireless Desktop (Newegg)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Newegg) (after the July price cuts)
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 (Newegg)
GPU: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (Newegg) (I might put a second one in later)
MB: Asus P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i (Newegg)
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR2-800/PC26400 2x1GB (Newegg)

frenchsquared

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
My only concern would be the sound card. Everything else looks fine.

You could always do a dual boot, if you were not quite ready for just vista.

Some others have had trouble with raid configuration, but it seems to me that those were with the setup not vista.

Good luck I am certain you will get a lot more advice.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
That sound card is fine with Vista, although Creative's drivers are still a bit dodgy (for *all* of Creative's cards, not just this one).

In fact an X-Fi Gamer card is also what I use with Vista (64-bit version) and I've had no problems with it.

If anything, the X-Fi cards a *preferred* sound card for Vista - Games using DirectSound can't do EAX under Vista anymore due to changes Microsoft has made. But Creative has released new software called "Alchemy" which provides a workaround for this limitation and it only works on the X-Fi line of cards (not the older Audigy line).