First build in long time, please advise

10 answers Last reply
More about first build long time advise
  1. Everything looks good. Just one question, what size monitor are you running and do you plan on gaming with this system?
  2. I'm not sure you need advice. Seems like you know what you want, as well as what works well together. The ram you picked will work just fine, but will run at 266MHz (DDR2-533) speed. Since you don't want to overclock, DDR2-800 is unnecessary. Up to you though.
  3. That a solid setup.

Yep, I'd drop ram to 533/667mhz brand name value ram. If it's a server, you might want to consider 4 gigs.
  4. BTW, the Western Digital YS series drives will not come with the error correction routines that their desktop drives do. YS drives rely on a raid controller card's error correction circuitry to perform that function. Otherwise they are great drives.
  5. Thanks for looking that over. I'll run it with a 19" or 20" monitor. The only game I'll be playing on it is Dark Age of Camelot, which isn't very demanding graphically.

I'm not worried about the graphics card. I can't see spending more than that now, with ATI's DX10 cards about to come out. If the card isn't good enough I'll put it in one of my older PCs and upgrade in a few months.
  6. Quote:
    The ram you picked will work just fine, but will run at 266MHz (DDR2-533) speed. Since you don't want to overclock, DDR2-800 is unnecessary. Up to you though.

Thanks for telling me. I didn't realize that.

Quote:
    Yep, I'd drop ram to 533/667mhz brand name value ram. If it's a server, you might want to consider 4 gigs.If it's a server, you might want to consider 4 gigs.

Yeah, I'll drop the ram. It's a desktop machine. I have three PCs on my desk for work and got tired of the clutter, so I decided that from now on, as I replace machines, I'll put them in a rack.

Quote:
    BTW, the Western Digital YS series drives will not come with the error correction routines that their desktop drives do. YS drives rely on a raid controller card's error correction circuitry to perform that function. Otherwise they are great drives.

Oh, I had no idea. I'm glad you told me. I picked this drive only because the warranty is longer. I'll be running this off the SATA controller on the motherboard. The integrity of the data on this drive is important (it will be building databases), so does this mean I should get a desktop drive instead?
  7. I think what he means is that the YS should be run in RAID so that error correction will be taken care of. If you run single drives, get the regular desktop version.
  8. Robbie.. if you want a long warranty and a good drive, the the seagate 7200.10 320GB sata
  9. Good choice. If you buy the OEM version, register it with Seagate to ensure the 5 year warranty. As a side note, if the drive works fine for the first month, then all should be well for a very long time - but you just never know...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Systems Product