meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
This is a weird case because i lost my internet connection after putting my comp on standby accidentally. My brother managed to track it down to my firewall software (ZoneAlarm 6.1). I got it removed but there was still no internet.

Are there any ways to force windows to reconnect because i still cant get my IP address from my ISP (sidenote: the hardware, ISP, modem are all right). I tried safe mode and the repair function to no avail.

Ahh, i am still using Windows XP w/ SP1. You heard it right.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
have you tried "repair" from network connection yet?

you sure you have removed all of za'a components and services?

is it http that can't connect or all protocols ?

meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
have you tried "repair" from network connection yet?

yeah i did but it said it cant repair.

you sure you have removed all of za'a components and services?

is it http that can't connect or all protocols ?

Well what i did were remove ZA through control panel and run through all the steps, checked in msconfig to see the true vector driver wasn't there.

As for the protocols, yes http is down, so is bittorrent last time i tried. I even launched IM apps and no they all can't connect. Got nothing on the ftp side too. One question tho, does it mean i can have some forms of connection even i'm unable to fetch my IP address from the ISP?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
have you checked your connection options under lan to make sure there is no proxy set or nothing like that?

if there is nothing there and its all ok then:

Reset Windows XP TCP/IP

Go to Start, Run Type in the Open box:

CMD

this will open Command Prompt box (Black)

At the C:\ prompt type the line below:

netsh winsock reset

Click the X in the upper right corner

When done reboot the computer.

see if that helps ;)

meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
you don't need to some apps change that on their own.

OK did you try the second part of my last post?

sorry for late reply and windows told me cant find command "winsock reset". What is the correct syntax?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
what I put there was:

netsh winsock reset

did you type it in exactly as you see it ?

if you did do everything correct then please type this in instead and tell me what you get:

ping 127.0.0.1

give me a screen shot ;)

CmonSnz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
When you remove Zone alarm through the "add & remove programs" window or "Zone Alarm Unistall" from the programs menu, Zone Alarm leaves behind some services that need to be delt with manually. Until this is done you will never get back on the internet.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf/za31_help.pdf

Manually uninstalling ZoneAlarm
If you are having persistent connection problems even after running the ZoneAlarm uninstaller,
manually uninstall ZoneAlarm by following the steps below. Note that the steps differ depending on
your operating system.
Windows 98/2K/XP
To manually uninstall ZoneAlarm from a Windows , 98, 2000, or XP system, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Start your computer in Safe Mode.
Enter Safe Mode with administrative account without networking. To learn how to start in Safe Mode
refer to Windows help. Go to Start | Help, click the Search tab, then type 'Safe Mode' in the search
box and click List Topics.
Important Do not start ZA/ZAP, or run the uninstaller, while in Safe Mode.
Step 2: Remove VSDATA registry entry (Windows 98/ME only--not required for
NT/2K/XP)
Important Deleting registry entries incorrectly may require reinstalling your operating system.
Always make a backup copy of the registry before editing. Perform the steps below with
extreme care, or seek help from someone familiar with registry editing. For further information about
registry editing, see Windows help.
A. In the Windows Start menu, click Run...
B. In the Open box, type regedit.
C. In the Registry Editor window, use the left-hand navigation to locate the following key:
W95/98/Me/XP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95.
4. In the right pane of the window, right-click the key, then choose Delete from the popup
menu.
5. Choose File | Exit to finish.
Note After editing the registry in safe mode, you may get a VXD error when restarting your
computer. This means Windows did not allow editing of the registry in Safe Mode. If this
occurs, press Enter. Restart your computer in normal (not Safe) mode, then repeat Step 2.
Step 3: Delete selected files
A. Using the Windows search function, locate and delete the files VSDATA95 and/or
VSDATANT.
B. If you want to keep a record of previous alerts, copy the ZALog files from the Internet Logs
folder to a safe location).
C. Using the Windows search function, locate and delete the Internet Logs folder.
Step 4: Cleanup
A. Empty your Recycle Bin.
B. Restart your computer.
Step 5: Complete Uninstallation
At this point, your Internet connection should function normally. To complete the manual uninstall,
you will follow steps posted on the ZoneAlarm Web site.
A. Go to http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/supp...pInstallFAQ.jsp.
B. Under How do I unininstall, then reinstall ZoneAlarm, click the link for your operating
system.
C. Under Uninstallation step 1, begin with substep A, then follow all the remaining
uninstallation steps.

Windows NT
To manually uninstall ZoneAlarm from a Windows NT system, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Log on to your computer as an administrator
l To learn how to do this, see Windows help.
Step 2: Show hidden files
A. In Windows folder options, set Windows to show hidden files. To learn how to do this, see
Windows help.
Step 3: Rename vsmon.exe
A. Using the Windows search function, locate the program vsmon.exe.
B. Change the name of the file, and write down the new file name. You will need to locate this
file again later.
C. Shut down ZoneAlarm and restart your computer.
Step 4: Delete selected files
A. Using the Windows search function, locate and delete the files VSDATA95 and/or
VSDATANT.
B. If you want to keep a record of previous alerts, copy the ZALog files from the Internet Logs
folder to a safe location.
c. Using the Windows search function, locate and delete the Internet Logs folder.
Step 5: Restore vsmon
A. Locate the renamed file from step 3 above, and rename it vsmon.exe.
Step 6: Cleanup
A. Empty your Recycle Bin.
Step 7: Complete Uninstallation
At this point, your Internet connection should function normally. To complete the manual uninstall,
you will follow steps posted on the ZoneAlarm Web site.
A. Go to http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/supp...pInstallFAQ.jsp.
B. Under How do I unininstall, then reinstall ZoneAlarm, click the link for your operating
system.
C. Under Uninstallation step 1, begin with substep A, then follow all the remaining
uninstallation steps.

hope this helps

meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
what I put there was:

netsh winsock reset

did you type it in exactly as you see it ?

if you did do everything correct then please type this in instead and tell me what you get:

ping 127.0.0.1

give me a screen shot

I pinged the above IP and got 100% packet loss.

Have you run the New Connection Wizard Accessories, Communication? Have you call your ISP tech support?

My ISP says its all working and i verified with my sis's laptop.

CmonSnz,

Wow thats a lot to do just to remove ZA properly! Thanks i'll try it out.

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
You can also give this a try - sounds like ZA still TIED to your network card / protocols - go to your local network connection properties and then UNISTALL - internet protocol tcp/ip, next go to the device manager and unistall your network card and reboot - XP will find and re-install your network card driver (since it was already there) It should also re-install the internet tcp/ip protocol as well but double check. now you will be able 2 connect to the internet.

TRENDING THREADS