HP pavilion laptop does not recognize CD/DVD driver

safari

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hello,
I have an HP pavilion Entertainment PC laptop
with CD and dvd all in one drive whic I have succesfully used before many times .I have a windows Vista OS. Laptop was bought MAY 2008. Now when I want to burn files from music library it is saying that I do not have a drive.I also have a desktop which has XP as an OS and I used to connect desktop to the same internet connection,than I would pull cable from desktop and or laptop to use internet.When I look in the microsoft updates on laptop I saw XP updates from microsoft when in fact I have a Vista OS on laptop.

updates and internet connection have nothing to do with your optical drive. it's possible that the optical drive has gone bad. just like with any type of hardware, it can go bad and stop working without warning. Try using an external drive until you can get the drive tested / looked at by a technician.

On the updates issue, don't tick to install them as they'll fail so simply choose Custom Install and untick each one, then tick the box so you aren't offered them again. Connect the XP machine and click on Automatic Updates in Control Panel.

barbbobc

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

I, too, have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC laptop runing Vista. I purchased mine in June of 2008. The CD/dvd drive stopped working several months ago. Coincidence? I went to the HP Support site and could not find my computer listed. Did you find a solution? Thanks.