can someone send me hal.dll from...

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hello --

I've been researching and trying to recover a Windows XP installation that won't boot because of the famous missing or corrupt hal.dll file.

I've tried many methods but the one I need to try now involves getting a copy of
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\hal.dll
from a working XP machine which has SP2.

Problem:I have all system files visible, protected operating system files visible, hidden folders and files visible ... and ... not one of my computers has the path C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles

I suspect this is because I have OEM installations of XP SP2. Yet in my research people seem to talk about it like it's always a path one can find.

Question: Can I get a kind soul to email me their C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\hal.dll
file
from their working copy of XP SP2 ?

I would be very grateful. Thanks and the place to send is jasencase _AT_ graffiti _DOT_ net

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Thanks I knew I had it in compressed form on i386 directory, but everywhere I mean EVERYWHERE it said to use the version-in-use of hal.dll , from a working SP2 installation. And copy that over to the fizzled installation.

Well I eventually just use Recovery Console to expand the compressed hal.dl_ (note the _ )
from the CD of XP sp2 , expand it into the \windows32 directory on the fizzled install, and this worked well enough to eventually get the machine to half-boot into safe mode, freeze, and then I was able to do a Repair Installation from the CD, which was good enough to get me into Safe Mode, where I am now busy copying files.

Thanks a bunch for the great link, too.