Passwords and Security on the Pocket PC

August 3, 2005 11:53:58 PM

In the olden days, when I had a Palm Pilot, I could tag notes and
documents as "private" and then hide them using the password protection
system.

This allowed me to store confidential documents and records on my palm
and be reasonably certain that a casual user who picked up my Pilot
(should I drop or lose it) would not be able to access PIN numbers,
company records that I stored in Palm Reader... that sort of thing.

I could turn this hiding ON and OFF using the default password
protection built into PalmOS. A hack in hackmaster allowed me to ensure
that the password automatically activated if I had truned it off. Thus
I could use my Palm any time I wanted, but had to enter a password to
access secure files.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to implement a similar
scheme on PocketPC? Ideally:

a) I DONT want to enter a password for general use of the Poacket PC,
only when I want to enter certain files.

c) IDEALLY, I would like to be able to lock and/or hide NOTES, WORD
files, EXCEL files and even MICROSOFT READER .Lit files. Being able to
lock acrobat files would be a bonus.

d) If I have entered the password, I need it to reactivate
automatically if I turn the Pocket PC off... that way if I drop the
thing and lose it, anyone picking it up would find the secure files
password locked.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Al

Trust Me, I'm a chemist......
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 4, 2005 12:03:22 PM

As Chance said, take a look at Sentry CE. I believe it is going to do the
trick for you.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch