Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Home Premium System Recovery

Last response: in Windows 7
August 3, 2011 5:17:40 AM

I have an Asus G73 laptop that I am wanting to do a system recovery on. It works but it's very qwirky and has occasional lock ups. Somehow, one of the automatic Windows updates that was installed deleted all of my old restore points, all the way back to when I first bought the thing. Anyway, I can't get it to burn a full set of recovery disks which is apparently not that uncommon with these machine. Asus actualy responded to an inquiry I sent them (although it takes like, two weeks to get each reply. The dialog has been going on for weeks). They told me to go ahead and do the F9 on start up and tell it to restore the OS partition. I am wanting to do this but I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice or opinions anyone can give if they have done this procedure before.
- Asus recommended that I just do the "restore Windows to first partition only". This will leave the other partitions as is. I have a second partition that is for data, games, etc. There is also a third partition that is for MS Office 2010 if I ever decided to purchase the program and activate it. I have all the Office software I need from work so I don't need this third partition. Actualy what I would like to do is just have one large partition with everything on it, including the recovery directory and the OS, restored back to exactly like it was the day I got it. Can this be done with the F9 on start up method?
- My system, for whatever reason, won't create a full set of recovery disks. With this in mind, if I try a keyboard recovery, would there be a danger of the system having some kind of issue (with the recovery directory???) and stop the process somewhere in the middle and then not be able to get the OS back on the HDD and operational?
August 3, 2011 5:33:20 AM

brettt777 said:
I have an Asus G73 laptop that I am wanting to do a system recovery on. It works but it's very qwirky and has occasional lock ups. Somehow, one of the automatic Windows updates that was installed deleted all of my old restore points, all the way back to when I first bought the thing. Anyway, I can't get it to burn a full set of recovery disks which is apparently not that uncommon with these machine. Asus actualy responded to an inquiry I sent them (although it takes like, two weeks to get each reply. The dialog has been going on for weeks). They told me to go ahead and do the F9 on start up and tell it to restore the OS partition. I am wanting to do this but I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice or opinions anyone can give if they have done this procedure before.
- Asus recommended that I just do the "restore Windows to first partition only". This will leave the other partitions as is. I have a second partition that is for data, games, etc. There is also a third partition that is for MS Office 2010 if I ever decided to purchase the program and activate it. I have all the Office software I need from work so I don't need this third partition. Actualy what I would like to do is just have one large partition with everything on it, including the recovery directory and the OS, restored back to exactly like it was the day I got it. Can this be done with the F9 on start up method?
- My system, for whatever reason, won't create a full set of recovery disks. With this in mind, if I try a keyboard recovery, would there be a danger of the system having some kind of issue (with the recovery directory???) and stop the process somewhere in the middle and then not be able to get the OS back on the HDD and operational?

heres the first question, do you have a windows 7 installation disk or an oem disk that would enable you to format your windows installation?? also if you do this asus is very good about having all the necessary drivers on their website
m
l
August 3, 2011 1:25:47 PM

I do not have a Windows 7 disk. I was suppose to be able to make a system recovery disk set that would allow me to reinstall Windows in whatever arrangement I want, but whenever I try to make a set of disks, it won't go past the first two disks and gives me an error when I try to start the third disk. That's why I am concerned about using the recovery directory and the keyboard method to do a system restoration. Does the system use the information in the recovery directory to create the disks and also to do a keyboard recovery? If so then I could be halfway through the process and start having issues and not be able to finish the recovery.
Let me ask you this, I have a co-worker that liked my G73 so much that he went out and bought one. His is newer than mine and has a slightly faster CPU but the OS is the same exact version as mine. If he were to burn a set of recovery disks, would they work on my machine or would they be proprietary to his machine only?
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2011 5:23:29 PM

brettt777 said:
I do not have a Windows 7 disk. I was suppose to be able to make a system recovery disk set that would allow me to reinstall Windows in whatever arrangement I want, but whenever I try to make a set of disks, it won't go past the first two disks and gives me an error when I try to start the third disk. That's why I am concerned about using the recovery directory and the keyboard method to do a system restoration. Does the system use the information in the recovery directory to create the disks and also to do a keyboard recovery? If so then I could be halfway through the process and start having issues and not be able to finish the recovery.
Let me ask you this, I have a co-worker that liked my G73 so much that he went out and bought one. His is newer than mine and has a slightly faster CPU but the OS is the same exact version as mine. If he were to burn a set of recovery disks, would they work on my machine or would they be proprietary to his machine only?

Well as a last resort the computer needs to be formatted in my opinion. you can try giving asus a call and asking for a recovery disk or a windows 7 disk however idk if it will cost you, but its worth a try
m
l
August 4, 2011 9:51:36 PM

So you're saying you would not trust the recovery directory? Is that the same place the system gets information for making recovery disks?
What about using a set of disks that were burned from my co-workers G73? Would they work on my machine?
m
l
August 5, 2011 1:56:09 AM

brettt777 said:
So you're saying you would not trust the recovery directory? Is that the same place the system gets information for making recovery disks?
What about using a set of disks that were burned from my co-workers G73? Would they work on my machine?

if its the exact make and model its worth giving a try, you seem pretty desperate now.
m
l
!