Inaccurate names for the 45nm Core2 shrink

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
intel_07_08.jpg

http://www.tgdaily.com/images/stories/article_images/intel_roadmap/intel_07_08.jpg

Thought Penryn was going to end up being quad-core for the 45nm shrink. Didn't realize it was only for mobile processors.

Looks like Wolfdale and Yorkfield (due to Kentsfield for the current Core2 socket LGA775) are going to be the main processors enthusiasts will be looking at. I'm figuring Wolfdale DP and Harpertown (due to Clovertown for the curren Xeon socket 771) are the server class chips.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I knew the high k naysayers were wrong... :wink:

There are naysayers? :lol:

AMD will be going the high-K route as well. Though it's going to take about five years for them to get to 32nm at this point. 32nm is two and a half years away for Intel.

Lyngvi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
According to this Anandtech Article Penryn is a Quad Core

Finally, Intel mentioned that in the server space, the fastest quad core Penryn available...

Although that was then and this is now *shrug*. Maybe they changed the names a bit because they said Penryn would be released later this year and don't want to pin themselves down too much?

Lyngvi.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
oh yes I defended Intels High k many times on penny. I wont dredge up the list because id forgotten my sources and the posters are good guys. :wink: That and it was a rare debate. It seems every one is too busy to remember all the great info we post.

Ah, so this is like an insiders joke. I get it now.

Lyngvi

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007

The little picture in there looks awefully like a dual core to me.

The quad core version of Penryn contains 820 million transistors (Kentsfield has 582 million) in two very small dies of 107mm2. That makes the new design 25 percent smaller than Intel's current 65nm Quad core (143 mm2).

So yes, Dual Core, but glue two together and you have a Quad Core. Silly I didn't realize that earlier. Still, why only Mobile *shrug* I need a new machine and and want my motherboard to be Penryn... no, Yorkfield compatible. And I don't want to wait another 6 months :evil:

Lyngvi.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Penryn is the overall name for the Core 2 Duo processor based on the 45nm technology. Penryn is also the next name for the Mobile Core 2 Duo. The Wolfdale is the DT 45nm processor of the Core 2 Duo replacing the Conroe. The Yorkfield is the 45nm version of Kentsfield Core 2 Quad.

Penryn is the overall name for the Core 2 Duo processor based on the 45nm technology. Penryn is also the next name for the Mobile Core 2 Duo. The Wolfdale is the DT 45nm processor of the Core 2 Duo replacing the Conroe. The Yorkfield is the 45nm version of Kentsfield Core 2 Quad.

Sounds the same as the days of netburst - the new architecture (now core 2 duo) was based on mobile tech and named merom, conroe being its desktop brother and woodcrest for servers, they seem to like putting mobile chips first.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Yep, Intel builds for a mobile processor and then shoves it into the DT space and server space. AMD builds for a Server processor and shoves into the DT space but AMD is supposed to be coming out with a purposely designed mobile processor.

You need to remember that all Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest all can come from the same wafer. It all comes down to the binning process. Not that Intel can't tweak the processor to emphasize more low power mobile parts will bin out.

Once the parts are sorted as to what criteria they meet or what is selling the most then they fuse them with the right Device ID and enable or disable whatever features are needed or not needed for the space they are going into.

In JF4 there is a place called PDL. This is were raw processors come in and get fused for what they are needed. Engineering samples are all Q-Spec and production parts are all S-Spec.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

Sounds the same as the days of netburst - the new architecture (now core 2 duo) was based on mobile tech and named merom, conroe being its desktop brother and woodcrest for servers, they seem to like putting mobile chips first.
so i guess its not surprising to see Intel owning most of the mobile and DT platforms, while AMD becomes majority in the server area.

so i guess its not surprising to see Intel owning most of the mobile and DT platforms, while AMD becomes majority in the server area.

eh? wtf you talking about?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Yep, just like we call all core2's conroes ;)
I think the mobile chips were/are meant to be released first too hence why everyone adopted penryn.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

AMD will be going the high-K route as well. Though it's going to take about five years for them to get to 32nm at this point. 32nm is two and a half years away for Intel.

IBM / AMD are closer to 20nm than they are 32nm.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006

IBM / AMD are closer to 20nm than they are 32nm.

explain plz

Ajfink. Don't reply to this guy. He's nothing more than a troll trolling around sh;tting on people. He ruined my tread when I was asking for help. Look through his posts. He's Efding troll.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001

If by majority, you mean slightly more MSS than in other segments, but still way below Intel, then you're correct. AMD doesn't have a lead in any CPU segment.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
ye thats what my 430 posts is, trolling around píssing on people because im asking him to explain himself with his short answer its very much trolling i can see that :roll: look how aggresive u r at ur own thread attacking me with words lmao

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

eh? wtf you talking about?
I mean, since Core uarch is based on mobile chip, it is not surprising to find Core 2 to do extremely well within the mobile/DT area.

However, in server arena, Woodcrest does not have the scalability like Opteron, or the bandwidth (due to FSB). However, since AMD's chips are based on servers, they don't necessarily perform well under DT and/or mobile environment.

That's what i mean by, "Intel owning mobile/DT, while AMD is gaining in server area".

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Here

Intel gained back more MSS in servers than in mobile last quarter.

Now if Barcy is decent, naturally AMD will gain MSS back in server first as the server market is the first place the chip is going. But that doesn't mean that AMD is better in servers overall than Intel. Currently the best Opteron isn't as good as the best Intel server chip and the MSS loss on AMD's part reflects that.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
The Woldale, Yorksfield and Harpertown products are the DT, DT quad, and server Quad derivatives coming from Penryn. This is the same as Merom was the mobile part and Conroe, Woodcrest, Clovertown derived from Merom....

Jack

Damnit, and here I was trying to be smart. :lol:

Actaully it has been said by the Inq the retail names will be Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful and Doc

I trust the Inquirer about as much as I trust my ability to throw a ten ton pink elephant across a room. Granted, if I cut the elephant down to small enough pieces I could do it, but in the time it would take me to do that, the Inquirer will have one accurate article.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Actaully it has been said by the Inq the retail names will be Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful and Doc

I trust the Inquirer about as much as I trust my ability to throw a ten ton pink elephant across a room. Granted, if I cut the elephant down to small enough pieces I could do it, but in the time it would take me to do that, the Inquirer will have one accurate article.

I think you missed the point Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful and Doc are part of the seven dwarves from the Snow White story

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Finally, Intel mentioned that in the server space, the fastest quad core Penryn available...

Although that was then and this is now *shrug*. Maybe they changed the names a bit because they said Penryn would be released later this year and don't want to pin themselves down too much?

Lyngvi.

The name PENRYN is used only because the Core architecture, on which the Penryn is based, was "built" by the same team that made the first Banias cpu (Pentium M). Even in the pre-C2D release, Intel used the Merom name more often then the Conroe one. The desktop variant of the Core architecture line are all base on the mobile cpus.

I probably made clear as mud... but that's the way it is when one try to tell a long story short. :wink: