Sign in with
Your question

64 vs 32 bit

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 25, 2007 2:45:31 AM

Hey guys, I have an intel c2d e6400 processor and it says it supports 64 bit. Just I've heard that most apps can't run in 64 bit and that the 64 bit version can't run 32 bit apps? Enlighten me on the differences, the goods, the bads and the uglies. ;)  Thanks

ps-got a migraine so I tried to make it short and tried to make sense, hard to do w/ a migraine lol

More about : bit

June 25, 2007 4:29:49 AM

A 64-bit OS will run 32-bit software... that is not the issue. The issue is that a 64-bit OS cannot run 32-bit drivers. If you decide on 64-bit, make sure there are 64-bit drivers available for all the hardware that you will be attatching to the computer.
m
l
June 25, 2007 4:37:18 AM

Quote:
A 64-bit OS will run 32-bit software... that is not the issue. The issue is that a 64-bit OS cannot run 32-bit drivers. If you decide on 64-bit, make sure there are 64-bit drivers available for all the hardware that you will be attatching to the computer.

sweet, just I believe a couple of my devices don't have 64 bit drivers. My boss gt-pro guitar rack system for one... hmm.... Is there really a huge difference in performance in the types because I rather not have to deal with driver compatibility with everything.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2007 9:07:48 PM

Nope there isn't. The performance difference is small, so stick to the 32-bit version and avoid the hassle. I think 64-bit will only be mainstream with Vienna.
m
l
June 27, 2007 8:00:32 PM

I feel your pain. I am about to complete my build and want to take advantage of my 4GB of RAM. As far as I understand:

32-bit (Vista or XP) will see a total of 4GB total, video RAM included in that. Worst case scenario: a system with 4GB ram, a 32-bit OS, and a 768MB video card would equal 3.25GB of "visible" system memory.

64-bit (Vista or XP) would see it all, but you would inherit the driver issues.

Where I stand now is: If I want 4GB of RAM and my 768MB video card I need 64-bit. If I have to suffer through the same driver issues with XP 64-bit why not do it with Vista...

I'm not sold on this point of view. I want to hear Im dumb and for *this* reason. Forgive me for wanting to utilize my 64-bit hardware...
m
l
June 28, 2007 8:30:10 AM

So would you recommend 64-bit Vista if there would be no driver issues with your current hardware?
m
l
June 28, 2007 8:55:21 AM

St0ck: Er, nope. It depends on what software you wish to run. At the moment there's still enough stuff, for me, that isn't properly 64-bit compatible to rule it out. If all the stuff you want to run is certified as 64-bit compatible then it would make sense, otherwise unless you wish to be on the 'bleeding edge' for only a very small improvement, it doesn't.

To me, 64-bit only currently makes sense for servers or workstations running only limited software; these are also those that most benefit from the extra RAM capabilities.

I think WinXP 64-bit edition was supposed to be the stop-gap to get software developers to include compatibility, so that 'mainstream' 64-bit would happen with Vista. However, WinXP 64-bit never achieved that, so consequently Vista has taken that role, and 64-bit will be 'mainstream' with Vienna (the succssor to Vista due in 2009).
m
l
June 28, 2007 3:15:40 PM

I have no driver issues with Premium 64 bit, to be safe you'd be as well having a dual boot setup with XP, providing you have an XP disk of course.
m
l
June 28, 2007 3:55:38 PM

If you don't mind maintaining a dual-boot setup then Clint's suggestion is indeed the best. For most people though dual-boot of two Windows versions is too much hassle (two lots of AV etc). Of course, you could always run that XP in a virtual machine on Vista 64-bit, but the progs you run in it better not be performance critical.
m
l
June 30, 2007 1:19:02 AM

Does 64-bit run 32-bit natively or are 64-bit patches needed?
m
l
July 3, 2007 8:15:07 AM

I run Vista 64 next to XP for the sake of compatability when needed. I hardly ever boot XP now as Vista works very well for me. 32bit apps run fine without 64-bit patches.
m
l
!