thetallone

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
well i am making a new build and am wondering if i should get xp or go for vista.... I dont think i will be able to upgrade to vista from xp for about a year if i do go with xp now so is it worth all the problems in vista to get it now and save a little money plus be able to play dx10 games as soon as they come out or just get xp for now...

thx

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
It's a tough call to make. From what I've researched, the safe bet (if you can afford it) would be to go with Windows XP (SP2) right now and then upgrade to Vista once SP1 is released or until you can't possibly wait any longer due to DirectX10 games or whatever.

However, if you don't think you'll be able to upgrade to Vista for a while after purchasing the XP operating system then you have a choice to make. Go with Vista and deal with all of the glitches or stick with XP and miss out on DirectX 10-compatible games when they are released.

You also have to consider whether or not you'll go with 32-bit or 64-bit...

Let us know what you decide!

-J.

I say they can keep vista for now (next year or so )I can navagate xp, know where stuff is etc.
DX10 wont (IMO)be an issue for about the lenght of time stated.
Stay with what you know untill something gives you a reason to change ie game/app.
Thats my 2 cents anyway
Mactronix

frenchsquared

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
It entirely depends on what you are using the computer for, it sounds as though you are a gamer. So you need to find out how important DX10 is to you. I personally dont care anything about it. I have vista and xp

You should look at the sticky's posted comparing vista to xp. I have seen several of them. Then decide for yourself. Don't forget to consider what your building. Ive scene a few budget builds that were not ready for vista.

Good Luck

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

If it's a new PC, Vista should be safe for drivers that work. I currently use Office 2000 with Vista with no major complications, however you may use different functions in MS that I don't, so our experiences may differ. My advice is to look at the sticky, but in general - if you use older software, stick with XP to get the same experience you currently have. If you are going for newer software/games or don't like to rebuild once the PC is built, go with Vista.

Schepsel

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I just switched to Vista from XP. I must say that it's not as bad as everybody is saying as such...Support is getting better and better. Speedy boot and shutdown. (Better than XP I must say)

MattyMustng

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Vista is awsome. People completely overexaggerate the problems with Vista....most of them probably haven't ever used it. Even slowest Celeron computers can run vista basic fine. Midrange to high end computers run Home Premo/Ultimate without a hitch. Vista has so many improved features that it is essential for anyone - especially someone who isn't upgrading but rather purchasing a new OS. Trust me, you will be much happier with Vista. DX10 Gaming - Vista is an obvious necessity. Even if you won't use DX10 immediately, Vista's improved features are excellent. I have been using it since Beta 2 and all my drivers and programs work fine. Only progs that don't work are really really old ones from 9x era, and even then you can run them in compatibility mode and they work about 80% of the time. Highly recommend Vista.

The Joker

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007

I've been running vista ultimate since almost day 1 with an x1950xtx and support from ATI has done nothing but get better... and I have nothing but good things to say about vista. ymmv