Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot from Vista DVD and have a "bootmgr is missing"

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 26, 2007 11:35:17 AM

Hi Guys

I have been searching the web site for a couple of hours trying to solve my Vista problem. I decided to install Vista, upgrading from Win XP. I have a SATA driver and needed to update the driver before the install would recognise a HD to install it on. I have 2 partition but a single HD. I decided to format both drives before install.

Then I started the install, all good but it can up with an error halfway through with unable to uncompress file error. Noticed a huge thumb print on the DVD. Had to reboot. Kept the disk in the drive but after a while it comes up with "Bootmgr is missing. Press CRTL, ALT & DELETE." After searching the internet and this forum the majority of responses are to pop in the DVD and it will boot off it. Unfortunately for me it wont.

I have tried the DVD in my other PC and it works fine. It is a legit copy of Vista. I have also tried my old XP OEM and it won't boot of it.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
June 26, 2007 12:00:09 PM

Bit more info: Boot priority is set to CD ROM first than HDD.
m
l
June 26, 2007 12:09:21 PM

I use to get an option to press a key to start Vista install when I first was installing Vista but after the format and subsequent crash I now don't have that option.

I can only guess it has something to do with SATA or the fact that I had two partitions.

Interestingly after I reset my BIOS (I just noticed) I get NTLDR is missing Press CRTL ALT and DELETE.

BTW I noticed a lot of posts etc where they were trying for a dual boot. I don't want this and if I could I would go back to one partition if i could.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2007 4:44:45 PM

I had similar issue : - Bootmgr is missing and NTLDR is missing. 1. I had to replace my OEM dvd burner with a new retail DVD Burner. 2. sync the Master / Slave jumper settings on my IDE HD and DVD Burner and using correct side of the cable. with this I was able to load Vista on my IDE hd (i have a second SATA but I does not load on it). Once i again replace the retail DVD burner with a 2nd (newer) OEM dvd burner, I could not boot even after using the 'Repair' function dusing DVD boot.
m
l
February 22, 2009 3:44:13 PM

Sorry for bumping this "thread". But I am facing same issue... I did follow those tips described here and it worked

But now, after few days BOOTMGR is missing (again).

Any suggestion guys?
m
l
May 21, 2009 2:17:06 AM

I also have the same problem, I have
compaq C700 presario laptop
with DVD-RW
1 GIG Ram
120 GB Sata Hard Disk
Original Vista Business DVD Installer

My brother also has a laptop and he can boot the DVD Vista Installer

But I cant boot it. No boot. Just "cannot find boot mgr missing" message
I have an XP OS installed and I can boot its CD.
I want to boot the VISTA CD and
format the C: partition and replace XP with VISTA but I cant even boot the CD!!!
(But my brothers laptop can boot it)

My Boot sequence in BIOS starts with my DVD-RW. (remember I can boot the XP cd)
(I dont have DVD hardware failure because I can watch DVD movies and install apps in my XP from DVD`s)
My laptop is really for vista because it really Comes with VISTA Drivers... and not XP
I just downgraded it to XP (and had a hard time finding its XP compatible drivers) a year ago
because vista consume a lot of resources

How can I fix the boot mgr missing problem?
Most forums are talking about boot mgr missing problems with vista and fixing it
by using a recovery module when you boot the DVD on PC startup... (But I can`t boot the DVD!!!)
(DVD vista installer is OK because my brother can boot it from his laptop)
m
l
October 20, 2009 5:31:24 PM

bootmgr is missing.
my dvd driver is not working .how to fix it
m
l
October 26, 2009 6:53:29 PM

cse552 said:
bootmgr is missing.
my dvd driver is not working .how to fix it

I have same problem please tell how to fix it then