8 Core (2 cpu) system advice?

Shaolin23

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hi there all,

I need some advice on building an 8 core (2 cpu) system to be used as a 3D machine here at work. As I don't really know what options are available, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
As there are still so few applications to utilize even 4 cores... this question may be a bit difficult to answer.

Since there is more than likely a 3 to 5 year lag from software companies to catch up to multi-multi core set-ups... I would say you should base your new system on price.

I am no expert here... I have a quad core... and it does not get utilized fully...Ever!

I can see that may change in the coming quarters in the gaming sector... I just can't make a recommendation on a non server 8 core system.

If you plan on it being a server as well... then you may get more out of it.

Sorry I have little to offer here.

Shaolin23

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I too was a little stumped when my boss asked me to investigate the 8 core setup. Prior to that, I priced out a "mid-range" 3D box with a good blend of performance balanced with price. Maybe I could get your thoughts on the configuration?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
Asus P5W64 WS Professional Motherboard
OCZ (OCZ2VU8004GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 2x2GB RAM
Western Digital Raptor SATA (WD1500ADFD) HardDrive
PNY NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 Professional Video Edition Vid Card

Thanks very much!

Not sure exactly how much detail you're looking for, so here are some general ideas and specs.

The only option available on the market now to built a 2spu 8 core workstation is the quad core Xeon Clovertown/Kentsfield processors. The lower end 1.6GHz 1066fsb E5310 sells for about $350USD with the higher end X5355 1333fsb 2.66GHz selling for about $1150USD.

You can get motherboards from Tyan, Supermicro, Asus, etc and they sell anywhere from $350 to $500USD.

If you go with the 3xxx series Xeons, you can get mobos that use standard ECC DDR2 667/533 memory. If you go with the 5xxx series Xeons you have to use FB-DIMMS. Memory can range in price anywhere from $50 for a no-name brand 1GB stick of ECC memory up to $150+ USD for a 1GB stick of FB-DIMMs. I recommend the 3xxx series because they are cheaper and use standard ECC memory, rather than the 5xxx series with the *generally* slower FB-DIMM memory.

A good first place to start is determining which series Xeon you want to use. Once you know whether your using the 3xxx or 5xxx series Xeons, you can determine what mobo you want to use. For mobos, you can check out Tyan, Supermicro, Arima, iWill, and maybe even Asus and Gigabyte. Personally, I recommend either Tyan or Supermicro. Once you know what mobo you want to use, you can determine what speed and size memory you want and as recomended by the mobo maker.

For a good 3D workstation video card, check out the nVidia Quadro series or the ATI FireGL series. The exact card and specs depend largely on what you are doing.

Another thing to think about is a PCIe or PCI-X RAID card solution. 3Ware and Areca are two brands well worth the money. Again, which RAID card and specs depend largely on what your doing. Same idea with what hard drives, capacity, and how many.

If you can provide some details and specifics about how the workstation will be used or specific software to be used, the forums folks would be able to provide some specific hardware recommendations.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Arimoto

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
add one more raptor drives and raid them in stripe, You won't regard it for intensive 3D app.

If money is not an issue, consider getting a PCI-E SAS card and use SAS drives.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Not kidding here!!

Just get a MACPRO! The machine is actually very well suited for what you are talking about.

Get the dual quad version.. You would be very hard pressed to build one for cheaper than the dual quad sells. You could get close but without support.

The MACPRO dual quad is actually a very very well thought out device. The software you would use for 3D rendering is probably available FIRST on the MAC.

Bottom line is "your build is for business" your machine should be too. Get the MAC and get the support.

This is one of the rare times that I would suggest a MAC.