pocket outlook - where it is ?

August 4, 2005 5:22:50 PM

windows mobile 2003SE, MDA compact

in the windows directory I can see an icon named poutlook but the
traditional outlook icon isn't along side it, there's an icon like this:

http://snipurl.com/gppn

however, when I access the windows directory on the pocket PC
via activesync I see this: http://snipurl.com/gppj

for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?

I have the disc and licence, etc.

any ideas ?

More about : pocket outlook

August 4, 2005 5:22:51 PM

Look for one named tmail.exe or go to the programs folder and tap the
Messaging shortcut.

Adrian

"news" <news@news.com> wrote in message
> windows mobile 2003SE, MDA compact
>
> in the windows directory I can see an icon named poutlook but the
> traditional outlook icon isn't along side it, there's an icon like this:
>
> http://snipurl.com/gppn
>
> however, when I access the windows directory on the pocket PC
> via activesync I see this: http://snipurl.com/gppj
>
> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>
> I have the disc and licence, etc.
>
> any ideas ?

August 4, 2005 5:51:20 PM

news <news@news.com> wrote:
> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
> any ideas ?

Yes, read the manual, "news". And turn on your brain.

--
Update for Windows XP (KB900930)
Typical download size: 556 KB, 1 minute

René k98mauser@gmail.com wrote:
> news <news@news.com> wrote:
>> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>> any ideas ?
>
> Yes, read the manual, "news". And turn on your brain.

cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
you have a lot of courage. all I'd like to know is can I expect a visual
representaion of outlook on the pcket PC which looks like the version
on my PC or is it the fractured messaging / contacts / organiser which
appears on the pocket PC ?

specifically, why is the outlook icon missing from the /programs folder ?

p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?

cute.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:10:21 PM

René wrote:
> news <news@news.com> wrote:
>> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>> any ideas ?
>
> Yes, read the manual, "news". And turn on your brain.

p.s the reason I 'RTFM' the other poster is that they had been asking multiple
inane questions in multiple newsgroups and ignoring any answers they were
given, then repeating the questions under an assumed name.

GYAC ;-)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:20:51 PM

to cut through the fog... and other stuff...

poutlook is the background app that runs on startup and handles the
scheduling alerts and other pim issues that don't have a "window"

The other parts of outlook each have their own startup exe, and those
have start shortcuts that are located under windows\start_menu and
windows\appbuttons

The usual problem is that the shortcuts in ram get deleted or moved
making it appear that the application is gone, but they can't leave
since the apps themselves are in rom.

if the shortcuts have indeed been cut, go to the windows directory and
locate;

addrbook
calendar
notes
tmail
tasks

and recreate the shortcuts for the ones that are missing...

>> creating shortcuts <<

http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#ShortCuts

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:22:25 PM

news wrote:

> windows mobile 2003SE, MDA compact
>
> in the windows directory I can see an icon named poutlook but the
> traditional outlook icon isn't along side it, there's an icon like
> this:
>
> http://snipurl.com/gppn
>
> however, when I access the windows directory on the pocket PC
> via activesync I see this: http://snipurl.com/gppj
>
> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>
> I have the disc and licence, etc.
>
> any ideas ?

What makes you think there is any program "poutlook" that can be
started in the first place? On a PPC the various modules (Mail,
Calendar, Tasks) are started seperately.

Why activeSync gives an icon at all, really doesn't really matter.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:25:04 PM

news wrote:

> cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
> you have a lot of courage.
>
> p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?
>
> cute.

Who are you to throw a stone with a name like "news" and an e-mail
address "news@news.com" that is probably not yours?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:30:54 PM

Hans S wrote:
> news wrote:
>
>> windows mobile 2003SE, MDA compact
>>
>> in the windows directory I can see an icon named poutlook but the
>> traditional outlook icon isn't along side it, there's an icon like
>> this:
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/gppn
>>
>> however, when I access the windows directory on the pocket PC
>> via activesync I see this: http://snipurl.com/gppj
>>
>> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>>
>> I have the disc and licence, etc.
>>
>> any ideas ?
>
> What makes you think there is any program "poutlook" that can be
> started in the first place?

the usual click .exe file - start application, the presence of poutlook.exe
in the windows folder, the general expectation that when you see an .exe
file and click it, an application starts ?

> On a PPC the various modules (Mail,Calendar, Tasks) are started seperately.

thank you, I'd kind of guessed that but wanted to be sure.

> Why activeSync gives an icon at all, really doesn't really matter.

it does if you expect to click an .exe file and get an application light up
and, in windows, when a shortcut has been disassociated with it's
destination file the icon changes .....

see, we all need things explaining from time to time ;-)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:30:56 PM

Hans S wrote:
> news wrote:
>
>> cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
>> you have a lot of courage.
>>
>> p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?
>>
>> cute.
>
> Who are you to throw a stone with a name like "news" and an e-mail
> address "news@news.com" that is probably not yours?

my name /is/ news and the email address is mine.
August 4, 2005 7:42:43 PM

news <news@news.com> wrote:
> cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
> you have a lot of courage.

Pfff, at least I _have_ a name, dimbulb.

> is it the fractured messaging / contacts / organiser
> which appears on the pocket PC ?

Bingo.

> p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?
> cute.

Yes?

--
Update for Windows XP (KB900930)
Typical download size: 556 KB, 1 minute
This update addresses an issue in which messages are improperly
handled if the subject line contains the word "begin".
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:43:18 PM

In article <AEpIe.22910$Fx3.11708@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
> Hans S wrote:
> > news wrote:
> >
> >> cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
> >> you have a lot of courage.
> >>
> >> p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?
> >>
> >> cute.
> >
> > Who are you to throw a stone with a name like "news" and an e-mail
> > address "news@news.com" that is probably not yours?
>
> my name /is/ news and the email address is mine.

From someone with a name like 'news' you don't have a lot of knowledge
--
Michael
Anonymous

petrolcan michael@cont.me.uk wrote:

> In article <AEpIe.22910$Fx3.11708@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
>> Hans S wrote:

>>> Who are you to throw a stone with a name like "news" and an e-mail
>>> address "news@news.com" that is probably not yours?
>>
>> my name /is/ news and the email address is mine.
>
> From someone with a name like 'news' you don't have a lot of knowledge

I have sufficient knowledge to know from where the accronym news comes from
August 4, 2005 7:44:00 PM

news <news@news.com> wrote:
> I have sufficient knowledge to know from where the accronym news
> comes from

This means not only do you not have a name, are too stupid to read a
manual and to use a PocketPC, you're also a dimbulb and a gullible
twit.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:48:13 PM

René wrote:
> news <news@news.com> wrote:
>> cute. from someone with a cheese eating surrender monkey name
>> you have a lot of courage.
>
> Pfff, at least I _have_ a name, dimbulb.
>
>> is it the fractured messaging / contacts / organiser
>> which appears on the pocket PC ?
>
> Bingo.
>
>> p.s. k98mauser@gmail.com and Kar98@The-Coalition.US ?
>> cute.
>
> Yes?

http://snipurl.com/gpv6

http://snipurl.com/gpva

http://snipurl.com/gn7o

http://snipurl.com/gpvh
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:12:19 PM

In article <TSpIe.23248$bT4.11143@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
> petrolcan michael@cont.me.uk wrote:

> >> my name /is/ news and the email address is mine.
> >
> > From someone with a name like 'news' you don't have a lot of knowledge
>
> I have sufficient knowledge to know from where the accronym news comes from

Ooooh, you are a clever boy
--
Michael
Anonymous

petrolcan wrote:
> In article <TSpIe.23248$bT4.11143@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
>> petrolcan michael@cont.me.uk wrote:
>>
>>> In article <AEpIe.22910$Fx3.11708@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net>, news
>>> says...

>>> From someone with a name like 'news' you don't have a lot of
>>> knowledge
>>
>> I have sufficient knowledge to know from where the accronym news
>> comes from
>
> Ooooh, you are a clever boy

typos excepted, that and the fact that I'm female.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:26:45 PM

In article <AiqIe.23252$bT4.14940@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
> petrolcan wrote:

> >> I have sufficient knowledge to know from where the accronym news
> >> comes from
> >
> > Ooooh, you are a clever boy
>
> typos excepted,

Typos? Where?

> that and the fact that I'm female.

That explains so much more.
--
Michael
Anonymous

petrolcan wrote:
> In article <AiqIe.23252$bT4.14940@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
>> petrolcan wrote:
>>> In article <TSpIe.23248$bT4.11143@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news
>>> says...

>>> Ooooh, you are a clever boy
>>
>> typos excepted,
>
> Typos? Where?
accronym instead of acronym

>> that and the fact that I'm female.
>
> That explains so much more.

I lied, I'm a bloke. what's your explanation for being so gullible ?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:26:46 PM

petrolcan wrote:

> > > Ooooh, you are a clever boy
> >
> > typos excepted,
>
> Typos? Where?

In the word "acronym" maybe?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:44:02 PM

In article <42f23638$0$11075$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Hans S says...

> > > typos excepted,
> >
> > Typos? Where?
>
> In the word "acronym" maybe?

I assumed s/he meant me
--
Michael
Anonymous

In article <QzqIe.12610$SO4.862@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, news says...
> petrolcan wrote:

> >> typos excepted,
> >
> > Typos? Where?
> accronym instead of acronym

Life's too short to proof read etc etc

> >> that and the fact that I'm female.
> >
> > That explains so much more.
>
> I lied, I'm a bloke.

You're a shim then?

> what's your explanation for being so gullible ?

I'm trusting
--
Michael
Anonymous

petrolcan wrote:
> In article <QzqIe.12610$SO4.862@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, news says...
>> petrolcan wrote:
>>> In article <AiqIe.23252$bT4.14940@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, news
>>> says...

>>> Typos? Where?
>> accronym instead of acronym
>
> Life's too short to proof read etc etc

>>> That explains so much more.
>>
>> I lied, I'm a bloke.
>
> You're a shim then?
>
>> what's your explanation for being so gullible ?
>
> I'm trusting

hallo, my name is emanuel. i am the fift son on the deeposed rooler
of umbongoland. there is twenty million dollas in bank that must need
making free for us to sher. please send freeing dollar $2000 to make
us like brother. your best brother- news
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:58:06 PM

In article <CQqIe.4266$0g7.2226@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, news says...
> petrolcan wrote:

> >> accronym instead of acronym
> >
> > Life's too short to proof read etc etc

> >> I lied, I'm a bloke.
> >
> > You're a shim then?

No denial then?

> >> what's your explanation for being so gullible ?
> >
> > I'm trusting
>
> hallo, my name is emanuel. i am the fift son on the deeposed rooler
> of umbongoland. there is twenty million dollas in bank that must need
> making free for us to sher. please send freeing dollar $2000 to make
> us like brother. your best brother- news

1/10

That really was quite poor
--
Michael
Hippo Keeper for the Sultan of Bling

news wrote:
> for some reason, I can't start pocket outlook, what's wrong ?
>
> I have the disc and licence, etc.
>
> any ideas ?

There is no such thing as Pocket Outlook.

Microsoft use this name as a sales device, instead you get basic
calendar, contact, email and notes applications that sync with Outlook.

Marc
August 5, 2005 2:17:09 AM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:

> The other parts of outlook each have their own startup exe

Not sure why, but I thought other apps were just shortcuts to
poutlook.exe with different commandline parameters. I think that's the
case since killing poutlook.exe also kills every other outlook related app.

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information and reviews.

The apps I listed are executables in the windows directory... not
shortcuts.

Since they all would interface with poutlook.exe as they all relate to
the pim data plus outlook email sync, so, it would be understandable
that they would shutdown if they couldn't access the pim app.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 6, 2005 3:09:56 AM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> The apps I listed are executables in the windows directory... not
> shortcuts.
>
> Since they all would interface with poutlook.exe as they all relate to
> the pim data plus outlook email sync, so, it would be understandable
> that they would shutdown if they couldn't access the pim app.

I remember why I thought that now, when you look at the start menu
shortcut to calendar/contacts properties in Resco it shows a link to
poutlook.exe with a load of "gibberish" added to the end.

Strange, but I'm sure the guys at Microsoft have a reason for it ;-)

--
!