any news about RAPTORS @ 15.000rrpm??

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Agreed, unless they made them in a 15k rpm like... low capacity for just the OS and a couple apps, but that's about it. I mean, when you get up to those speeds you might as well go enterprise since they have the reliability.

El_Kimo

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Don't care much for 15K rpms... I'd much rather have Seagate and Hitachi (finally) play catch-up and offer some 10KRPM/16MB/SATA-II alternatives OF THEIR OWN to get some sort of price war going on in this overly expensive enthusiast HDD segment (and right before SSD's take over the entire HDD world). :p

*Whatever happended to those gazillion-byte holographic drives we were SUPPOSED to be using by now, anyways? :roll:

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
15,000rpm slow - what what are we comparing them to 20krpm industry gaint HDD, their current 10000rpm models are pretty dam fast. baring in mind they will be priced where the top 10000rpm raptor is today so 10000 will come down in price. do we know if it going to be the much need SATA2?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I mean, when you get up to those speeds you might as well go enterprise since they have the reliability.

Speaking as someone who has had enterprise class server drives die in less than two years... the reliability is over-hyped. Once you take cost into account, raptors are just as good....

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would like to see them use perpendicular recording if possible.
This would increase the data density and in theory allow more data to be read/written w/o increasing the rotational speed.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, we saw how the Hitatchi jacked performance up considerably by increasing data density. WD should follow suit, I've noticed that Raptor prices have declined a whole lot, perhaps they have something waiting in the wings? I strongly doubt we'll see desktop drives with >10000rpm, the tradeoff in decreased rotational latency is offset by increased heat, noise, power consumption, and risk of mechanical failure.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Maybe that's it. I'm still hoping WD will keep the Raptor tradition alive and bring out something new that's more competitive. We'll have to wait and see. I've always preferred WD, I had an old 40GB model crap out a few years ago, they sent me an 80GB and offered me a discount on data recovery. That's good service.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Yea, but Hitatchi doesn't have nearly as much exposure. I have no idea what their market share is, but Maxtor, WD, and Seagate are definately up near the top. Hopefully they'll get better, they'll probably to start getting more attention for reaching the 1TB milestone.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
No, I know, but the milestone is definately a good thing for them as it has generated more interest in their product, and anyone needing something that big has nowhere else to turn. Their CinemaStar will likely be a big hit too, for HTPC's and potentially the DVR market.