ussra2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'm am having a hard time installing a dual boot. I want to have a dual boot with vista on my IDE hard drive and then XP on my SATA hard drive. Yet, whenever I install either OS on the secondary IDE hard drive that I want Vista on, either XP or Vista take over and won't let my XP install on the SATA boot or even give me the option. So right now I have xp installed on my SATA drive and nothing on my IDE drive. I just have to format the IDE drive and get installing, does anyone have any advice to make this go smoother?

Also, a seperate issue but one I hope someone can answer. My computer when it boots right now into my xp install, it boots in the administrator account sometimes and then others into my account with my name. Any Ideas?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm no good with vista but from what I understand for dual boot with vista you wanna install vista first then xp.

on a different note why don't you run one of them in the other, with vmware? its much easier and no dual boot ;)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
not sure what that has anything to do with what I'm asking but install xp run vmware, install vista on it and do what you want or

the other way around, I'm not sure if vmware installs on vista tho.

You must install XP first, then Vista. Vista should detect that XP is installed and setup it's boot menu to boot to either version. If you want to install XP to your SATA drive, you'll most likely need to have SATA drivers available to load while XP is installing. (Via the F6 option and floppy drive).