For Retro Old School Gaming 32bit?

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Isn't It more Intelligent to Run a 32bit Operating system like Windows Millenium with a Athlon 64(32Bit Proccessor with 64Bit Extensions) and Windows Vista For 64Bit applications? As Far as I have read 64bit needs to goto software translations to run 32bit code and more overhead with a 64bit OS running 32bit code? To get maximum gaming performance and FPS isn't this the way to go? :eek:

If I had the cash I would love to benchmark Windows Millenium 32bit vs. Vista 32bit With the Athlon Series. Well a Futuremark Project waiting to happen! I only need to get a job and $1500 Cash after I pay off My Credit Card and Money owed to family, plus I'm 31years old :(. Kinda of like the Comic guy Nerd in the Simpsons ;)

Considering there is very little difference in performance between 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vista or 7, there is simply not much point in running a 32-bit OS... except for 16-bit compatibility. If you have old apps that run in a DOS-type interface, you'll need something like DOSBox to run them on a 64-bit OS. Of course, old DOS software wasn't designed with modern processors in mind... so they will simply run at their maximum speed.

As far as 32-bit software is concerned, there is no "translation" as you're thinking of it. I've heard there is a very slight performance hit, but that has nothing to do with any kind of translation... as x64 Windows runs a 32-bit layer (Windows on Windows or WoW) for 32-bit apps. This allows 32-bit apps to run "natively" with no emulation... much like 32-bit code doesn't have to be emulated on a x86-64 processor.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Your right thanks for clearing that up I did some research I was thinking of Itanium that maybe had a performance hit if needing to run x86 code than running 64bit natively!

Yeah, that was Itanium's ultimate downfall... it was great for 64-bit computing, but considering how few 64-bit apps are available, it was an almost useless processor to most. Now that everyone is on the x86-64 bandwagon, it's unlikely that a "pure" 64-bit processor will be released in the near future. Even Apple saw the light in that regard. I am hoping Intel or AMD will surprise us with some real innovation soon.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe Intel was Trying to Push 64bit computing too soon ahead of its time, no 32bit backwards go think towards the future! If they had more pull in the industry like when 3dfx was king with Glide and MMX it would have been 64bit with 96bit extensions! In my opinion I would have gotten rid of 32bit mode software unless it was coded to 64bit to enhance IT and Gaming! That way to you play your old titles with updated graphics and A.I.! That way if your new to gaming you start off with awesome graphics and A.I., you don't have to play 64bit gaming than 32bit gaming just to catch up on the story of previous games released during the 32bit era of gaming! Also when you have everything updated to 64bit gaming its easier to compare the softwareengines to see which oneis more complex. As far as RPG nothing is more complex in my opnion than the Baldur's Gate Series, or For strategy rpg the Deus Ex 2 compiler! As for Real Time strategy Warcraft III engine is king, I haven't Checked out Starcraft II, For Turn Based I think nothing beats the Xcom series such as Xcom Aftershock!
Well anyways I can't wait for 64bit gaming than 128bit gaming eventually!