HDTV tuner recommendation

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 15, 2004 5:35:52 PM

I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.

Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?

Thanks -
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:37:00 PM

"Harlen Ng" <harlen@cadence.com> wrote in message
>I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
> stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
> future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.
>
> Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?
>
> Thanks -

Harlen -

I just purchased the Samsung SIR-TS360 tuner from Best Buy. Has all the
inputs you could ever ask for, has a "TIVO" like search feature in the guide
and allows you to mix cable, DirecTV and OTA into one nice guide. Outputs
are nice as well, component, digital audio, etc. All my gear feeds thru it
to the TV. $300. Very cool.

Steve M. in CA.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:37:49 PM

I bought a Samsung SIR-T351 for $250 with a $50 mail in rebate. Reception is
good.
In the San Francisco Bay area, I am able to view all the channels except NBC
which is broadcast in VHF band. I have to find a VHF antenna.

-Gurminder

"Steve M. in CA." <swimming@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Harlen Ng" <harlen@cadence.com> wrote in message
> >I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
> > stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
> > future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?
> >
> > Thanks -
> >
> Harlen -
>
> I just purchased the Samsung SIR-TS360 tuner from Best Buy. Has all the
> inputs you could ever ask for, has a "TIVO" like search feature in the
guide
> and allows you to mix cable, DirecTV and OTA into one nice guide. Outputs
> are nice as well, component, digital audio, etc. All my gear feeds thru
it
> to the TV. $300. Very cool.
>
> Steve M. in CA.

December 16, 2004 3:28:20 AM

Steve M. in CA. wrote:
> "Harlen Ng" <harlen@cadence.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
>>stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
>>future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?
>>
>>Thanks -
>>

> Harlen -
>
> I just purchased the Samsung SIR-TS360 tuner from Best Buy. Has all the
> inputs you could ever ask for, has a "TIVO" like search feature in the guide
> and allows you to mix cable, DirecTV and OTA into one nice guide. Outputs
> are nice as well, component, digital audio, etc. All my gear feeds thru it
> to the TV. $300. Very cool.
>
> Steve M. in CA.

The new model Samsung SIR-T451 ATSC tuner lists for $249. Has a full
set of output connectors: component, S-Video, DVI, VGA, digital audio.
Brought one at Best Buy and it appears to work quite well. Does not have
DirectTV capability, but the original poster did not ask for that.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:26:52 AM

"Harlen Ng" <harlen@cadence.com> wrote in message
> I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
> stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
> future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.
>
> Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?
>
> Thanks -

From the specs the LG Electronics LS4200A looks good ($240). QAM for cable
and receives both NTSC and ATSC. Newer models will have cable card slots as
well as picture media card slots and computers and on and on as model years
progress and a new gimic is needed to sell them.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:14:13 PM

Harlen Ng wrote:

> I have a HD Ready TV and only want to view the local digital broadcast
> stations. I don't plan on hooking up cable or satellite in the near
> future. I know that Samsung, Panasonic, and Zenith makes these tuners.
>
> Can anyone recommend a make/model that you are happy with?
>
> Thanks -

I received a Samsung T-451 HD OTA external Tuner 1 month ago

from One Call by mail order in Spokane, WA... Cost $250 +
shipping...

Locks on to to Local HD channels faster than the Samsung T-151...

It can also gets most Cable QAM unencrypted HD/Digital channels
too....

Also the Sammy remotes for each other run both new T-451 & T-151..
!