MS Windows 2000 Professional Installation

RDM1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
Hello all. Have a question I hope that someone out there can answer: Have installed MS Windows 2000 Professional on both my main desktop computer and my PII Compaq Armada M300 Laptop with no incident (using same product key). Have just recently received a PIII Compaq Armada which has Windows 98 as the O/S. Want to remove it and install Windows 2000 Professional instead. Here is where the problem arises. Attempts to install Win2K from my disc have failed with the folowing error message: Unable to copy MFC42.dll. Was able to find a fix, but additional attemps result in more dll (fontext, framedyn) messages and an acs (merlin) error message. I have been told that there is a licence restriction on installing Windows 2000 Pro on more than one computer. Is this correct? How do I go about rectifying this problem. Thanks to all for your comments/information.

G

Since Windows 2000 Pro didn't have activation, I don't think that's your problem. I would guess either bad hard drive or bad ram.

Grumpy

RDM1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
Hello Grumpy. Thanks for your comments. Actually, after attempting a few times to install it (without success), I called Microsoft and they informed me that the version of Windows 2000 I have (OEM) can only be installed on one computer. So either I purchase another copy, or I install another O/S.

G

Of course they're going to tell you that but without activation they can't enforce it. How would the installation know that copy was already installed on another computer? I still say it's either a bad hard drive or bad memory.

Grumpy

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I haven't installed 2000 recently, but when I was using it, I had the opportunity to install it on a Xeon server and an MSI 845G board.

sometimes CD's do burn out (technical term for somehow becoming un-readable).

As long as you have the CD key, it will install.

It's not too expensive to buy a new 2000. last time i bought one they were like $15. legit copies, sold surplus.

i'm curious if Windows 2003 server, for example, can detect the presence of multiple machines running 2000 installed from the same CD.

G

I don't believe Windows Server 2003 can detect 2 computers with the same CD key. The only thing that needs to be unique for each computer is the SID.

Grumpy