Need specific card ideas for my setup...

shaps

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I just got a dell (punch line goes here) 9200. The set up is as follows

Dimensions 9200
Windows Vista Premium
Intel 2.13 ghz dual core
2 GB 667 ram
320 GB hd
22" flat panel monitor
crappy graphics card.

Dell has given me a coupon to buy a graphics card from their store online, I'm looking to spend around $300 or less on a good card. The card will be used for gaming, HD videos, photo editing and some light video editing.

Looking for a car that is compatible with my computer and one that will kick @$$ in gaming and editing.

THANKS!

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

shaps

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Thank you!

I really wanted the 8800 320mb, but it doesn't appear it will work with my setup. I've read the recommended power supply for it is 400watt, mine is 375 watt. I wonder if that is the only reason it is not shown as being compatible?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, an 8800 would blow away an X1650XT. I'm not sure what they are looking at when it comes to that compatibility list. Could have to do with the physical size of the card which may be too big for the case.

jjknoll

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, that's a bummer about your choices. I have had a couple of Dell's and I had to stop buying them. They are nice computers for those that are happy with things as they are. It's just those psu's are just so weak.and the cases were so bad when I bought them. No airflow and a little cramped.

shaps

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Actually the airflow set up on this one seems pretty sweet. Have no idea about actual ratings, but it seems very effective. The case on this one is pretty big too. One thing that has me saying cheap though is the case itself. the sides and whole thing seem very flimpsy.

It's my first dell, i usually just upgrade my custom case computer, but too limited time to research it all out and put it all together now days. One good thing I gotta say is the dell customer support is pretty incredible. I dont like they graphics card that came with it (their error) so they gave me a nice coupon to buy a new one.