DVI to component adapter?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 16, 2004 2:21:06 AM

Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
legacy Mitsubishi?

TIA!

More about : dvi component adapter

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:53:37 AM

No Thanks wrote:
> Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
> component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
> legacy Mitsubishi?
>
> TIA!

I haven't look, but just maybe there is a receiver that will do the
switching? Multiple inputs to one output.....

I'm in the same boat.....
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:03:01 AM

Yeah...what a boat to be in. I'm certain that the HD/Blu-Ray players
out next year will only support the higher resolutions over DVI or
HDMI. Heck, they may even drop component support all together.
December 16, 2004 9:45:05 AM

Try this. I may try one even if I have DVI. I think component has smoother
results.

http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/c.304836/sc.2/categor...

"No Thanks" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
> component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
> legacy Mitsubishi?
>
> TIA!
December 16, 2004 1:23:23 PM

It will interesting to see if it works...since one of the primary reasons
for all non-component outputs is piracy protection mandated by Hollywood
(keeping the signal digital outside the tv set eliminates all kinds of
dubbing/copying schemes). But then again, computers have not been required
to follow those guidelines so far.

""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try this. I may try one even if I have DVI. I think component has
> smoother
> results.
>
> http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/c.304836/sc.2/categor...
>

> "No Thanks" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
>> component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
>> legacy Mitsubishi?
>>
>> TIA!

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 8:53:24 PM

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> It will interesting to see if it works...since one of the primary reasons
> for all non-component outputs is piracy protection mandated by Hollywood
> (keeping the signal digital outside the tv set eliminates all kinds of
> dubbing/copying schemes). But then again, computers have not been
required
> to follow those guidelines so far.

That's stupid. Just how do they think people would copy a DVD? Not buy
that output. Piracy on TV shows? Since DVD came out, a lot more people buy
TV shows now, even myself. I never bought a TV show becuase of the quality,
now I don't mind. Hollywood has to understand that if they can make it,
someone can break it.

> ""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Try this. I may try one even if I have DVI. I think component has
> > smoother
> > results.

http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/c.304836/sc.2/categor...

> > "No Thanks" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> >> Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
> >> component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
> >> legacy Mitsubishi?
> >>
> >> TIA!

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 8:18:52 PM

And as to HDCP, I just can't help but think that if there is a circuit in
the TV that can decode the HDCP content coming in on DVI, there must be a
place (or 2 or 3) inside the TV where a guy can solder wires to and extract
that unencrypted data back to his PC (but as of now the data rate is too
fast anyway). The data must exist in an unencrypted form SOMEWHERE in the
TV. Nothing they come up with will last for long.

--Dan

> Hollywood has to understand that if they can make it,
> someone can break it.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:56:37 AM

Yeah, I have to wonder about this miracle adaptor too. Since the whole
purpose of DVI/HDCP/HDMI was to prevent what this little adaptor seems
capable of doing.

On a related note, I see HBO has stated that starting next year they
will be implementing something to limit customers to only be able to
record one copy of it's regular programming and none of it's on-demand
services. How they are doing this was unclear.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:08:20 AM

"\"Guest\"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Try this. I may try one even if I have DVI. I think component has smoother
>results.
>
>http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/c.304836/sc.2/categor...
>

>"No Thanks" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any legal adapters that will dumb-down a DVI output to
>> component so I can user future DVI/1080i equipment on my **gasp**
>> legacy Mitsubishi?

I suspect that's just making use of the analog output available on a
DVI-I connector, which is what ATI puts on their video cards. I doubt
that it's doing any D/A conversion at all, and it probably wouldn't
work with the more common DVI-D output.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:24:01 AM

The adapter mentioned above is designed for a DVI-I transmitter. DVI-I
carries both a digital video signal and an analog version of it over
the same cable. DVI-D is digital only. You will have to have a DVI-I
transmitter to make use of this device. And if HDCP protection is
turned on and set to "no recording" the analog output will be turned
off or down-rez'ed to 480p.

But I don't believe component outputs will start to disappear for
number of years.

--
FiberOpticDude
December 20, 2004 8:06:32 PM

trader4@optonline.net wrote (in part):

>On a related note, I see HBO has stated that starting next year they
>will be implementing something to limit customers to only be able to
>record one copy of it's regular programming and none of it's on-demand
>services. How they are doing this was unclear.

Good to know. I was interested in subscribing to HBO to get their HD
feed and was willing to pay the $12 or so per month for it, but I held
off because of the high cost of a package I don't want just to qualify
for premium services. Now there's an additional reason. If I can't
record _and archive_ shows it's not worth it to me. I'll settle for
OTA HD and DVDs borrowed from the library.

The entertainment industry seems determined to throw away billions in
potential sales that will never materialize because of the high
"hassle factor" they have imposed on digital television. But that's
nothing new. They have always fought every change to the way they do
business. We can only guess at what their successes, such as quashing
DAT, have cost them. But we can get an inkling from their failures
(attempts to kill or severely limit VCRs, video rental stores, even
television itself) because we can see what they would have lost had
they succeeded.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
!