Quadcore uses only 25% for big rendering tasks

madmike80

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
My computer is running with intels QX6700 Core2Extreme, and I use it specifically for 3-D and photographic designs. (OS: XP64)

however, when I start one rendering task, only one core gets the job (25% CPU usage).
I can easily start 3 programs like Autodesk 3DSmax and Photoshop CS2, and let every single program render a scene, and then the CPU usage reaches 75% and windows still runs well...

could i get 75% CPU usage with one single rendering task?
every rendering process COULD be 3 times faster done...
maybe theres some software to control this??

please help me out!!
thnxx!!
madmike..

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
You have discovered the crux of multiprocessor computing...

If you have one process that generates one thread, then it will tax only one processor with that one thread to finish that one process.

You have to have applications that are capable of multithreading in order to tax all the processors, or be able to run multiple threads at the same time and assign the tasks to any of the available idle processors.

As we see newer operating systems and applications take better advantage of the hardware available, you will see less idle processor time and better performance throughput from multiprocessor machines (and I'm not just talking about being able to write an email while burning a DVD and rendering a Flash movie in the background). For instance, if you are talking about a 3D rendering program, being able to render several frames in parallel as opposed to rendering each frame in serial would speed up performance since each frame would be treated as a single thread that could be assigned to any processor which is idle.

It will take a shift in programming before we all feel the advantage of multiprocessor machines, but once this starts to happen, there will be a palpable difference in performance, rather than the lackluster 25% utilization you are seeing now on a quadcore system.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
MadMike,

First, your nick brings screams to folks around here so please do not be alarmed if you hear some folks giving you some #$%^ about it. It is not you but a former member that had some issues with a very similar nick.

Second, the problem you are running into is called OS priority scheme. In essence the OS assigns a priority to each process and the OS level processes receive the highest of those priorities.

You may hear of this as "Nice or Nicing" a process. Upgrading the priority of a process.

Try reading/doing the info here:

MS_INFO_FOR_PROCESS_PRIORITY

Give that a try and let me know how it looks after that.

Be advised that you can set priority "too high" and cause other things to "wait".

Hope this helps!!

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
AFAIK most higher end 3D apps are optimised to support multi-core out of the box, 3Dsmax certainly should be among them.

What about that boot ini "set uptimer" thingy that I've seen mentioned elsewhere that can help an XP box make better use of multi core cpu's?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
hmmm. AFAIK These programs are meant to be multithreaded. I can't really help you since i'm not a graphics design kinda guy, but i'm sure someone around here can help you.

edit: Woops, must have hit the reply button about 10 minutes ago :p

Linenoise

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
You also should look at the programs you're using. I'm not too familiar with 3d rendering either, but it is highly math intensive.. I'd be surprised if any "professional" packages don't use multiprocessing, since unlike many other applications, you -would- get a huge benefit from multiple cores. There may be a setting to enable it, or another rendering program might work better.

I ran across a blog post from one of the Photoshop devs. He claims photoshop does use multiple processors, but that their problem is memory bandwidth - the images are so big that there simply isn't enough memory bandwidth available to feed both cores (a single image file can be 2 gig, which is the max a 32-bit application has access to! No room left for working space)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If just depends how well the application is multi-threaded.

The app may be able to run different tasks each on a seperate thread and hence make use of the multiple processors but a given task may not be multi-threaded. As a result if a single task is doing some serious computing you would still see what you see.

There really is nothing you can do to improve performance from a Windows standpoint.

A software update may help, but I would ask in the vendor's forums.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
But affinity will not help his situation.

The application is already doing this since when he runs multiple instances of rendering, they load does get put on different CPUs.

That would really only help if everything kept getting stuck on CPU0 and nothing ever cascased to CPUs 1-3.

strange I thought that Photoshop was able to take advantage of multiple threads for a while now.

Me too. I have an old copy of Photoshop 7 and Premiere 6.5 that I haven't installed yet on my new build (QX6700 with 4 gigs memory). But I have installed Photoshop Elements 3 and will check it tonight to see how it multithreads.

One of the first things I did after installing XP MCE and Vista 64 in a dual-boot setup on the new rig, was to look at DVDShrink's multitasking. I ran 2 instances of it - two DVD burners :) - and looked at what Task Manager reported for # threads and core loading. I'll try to hunt up the screen shots if anybody is interested, but what I recall is that in XP, Shrink loaded 3 cores pretty evenly with the 4th core loaded much less. In Vista 64, all 4 cores were loaded equally and the total time for analyzing and recoding to 60% original size was reduced noticeably too.

So if DVDShrink, which hasn't been updated in what - 2 years now? - multitasks well, I'm surprised Adobe can't make Photoshop or Premiere perform well too.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Zen,

Please look at my post.

He can improve by giving more time to the process via Priority settings.

Scheduling only really comes into effect when the cpu is at its max. If its idle then the application is getting all the cpu it needs. If a lot of cpu is in use the prorities will weight towards what application gets a time slice.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Yes, increasing priority is likely to have very minimal effect.

This would really only do something is there were other major threads stealing significant time. If that was the case, he could then use affinity to keep Process A and Process B on different CPUs. This would likely be more effective than setting a very high priority on the task.

Example - If he said that everytime his AV Updated kicked in, his CS2 slowed to a crawl, he could set CS2 and the AV Updater to use different CPUs. This would work because CS2 basically sticks to one CPU and he would then be able to keep other high utilitzation tasks off that CPU.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
My computer is running with intels QX6700 Core2Extreme, and I use it specifically for 3-D and photographic designs. (OS: XP64)

however, when I start one rendering task, only one core gets the job (25% CPU usage).
I can easily start 3 programs like Autodesk 3DSmax and Photoshop CS2, and let every single program render a scene, and then the CPU usage reaches 75% and windows still runs well...

could i get 75% CPU usage with one single rendering task?
every rendering process COULD be 3 times faster done...
maybe theres some software to control this??

please help me out!!
thnxx!!
madmike..
Photoshop is now lagging when it comes to multithreading (I think CS3 uses only 2 threads max) and bit support (critical when you work on large files) but I have to say that you don't know your software very well, because on the 3DSMax renderer you should have an option to turn on multithreading or even control the number of threads you want to use. I use Blender and both of it's main renderers (the internal and Yafray) let you specify the number of threads you want to use; one for each core to fully utilize your CPU.

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
mad mike ....max should use all the cores. I am running max 8 sp 3, with a dual core cpu on winxp sp2 ....rendering with scanline renderer..see screen grab.

What renderer are you using in max ?
what version of max ?[/img]
vray im pretty sure is multithreaded,not sure about mental ray..
That will make a difference.
smudgee

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
oh so theres no confusion, or you think i photoshoppd it..

[img=http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/14284/2000837097304020795_th.jpg]

Something is wrong somewhere...i mean using 3dsmax, is the very best reason on earth to get a quad core....look at any benchmark done here ,or other site and youll see the max benchies are using all cores.

But we ARE talking about rendering, and not just moving meshes or something in the preview window right ?
Same with photoshop....using filters n stuff should use more than 1 core , as it computes/renders..but proballly only needs to use 1 otherwise.
I dont think many 3d apps cant multithread, vue infinte does, llightwave, zbrush, carrara does. Poser 6 does not.

smudgee

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
What do you think? It's a quad-core super bad arse chip but the thing is, it's not fully used since I don't think there's a program or software that could fully utilized the quad core. Gaming, not that great as dual core is still the man. Give it a year or so and quad cores will be the norm.

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Mad mike, i know youre having problems with yours, but please dontbeleive all this cock n bull that folks are writing about apps not using all cores , they dont know what they are saying.

2 more screen grabs.

smudgee

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
What do you think? It's a quad-core super bad arse chip but the thing is, it's not fully used since I don't think there's a program or software that could fully utilized the quad core. Gaming, not that great as dual core is still the man. Give it a year or so and quad cores will be the norm.
Don't talk about rendering like it was gaming; rendering software supports multithreading and even distributed rendering over the LAN more or less from the appearance of dual socket, server motherboards. I know people who had a dual Pentium Pro board and had 3DSMax fully utilize both of the CPUs. That's why in rendering, there is not any problem about software catching up in multithreading; Blender is a relatively new name in the industry and only the crappy internal render lets me chose up to 8 threads and if I had something like a dual Q6600, I'd show you how I maxed all the 8 cores :wink: .

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
are u usuing some odd plug in ...like hair n fur or something thats perhaps not multi threaded..?

Shadow map calculation too isnt multithreaded it ithink....check out this discussion

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5520518

smudgee
He's not enabling as many threads as he needs; that's all. If it was the plugin, it would affect at most the pre-render phase but the render passes HAVE to be multithreaded if the renderer is.

smudgee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
are u usuing some odd plug in ...like hair n fur or something thats perhaps not multi threaded..?

Shadow map calculation too isnt multithreaded it ithink....check out this discussion

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5520518

smudgee
He's not enabling as many threads as he needs; that's all. If it was the plugin, it would affect at most the pre-render phase but the render passes HAVE to be multithreaded if the renderer is.

M25 youre dead right.
AAAAARARRARR found it. multithreading option preferences.

Your so right , one cant talk about this as if its gaming.

smudgee

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Can't really tell you man; the last time I used 3DSMAx was some 2-3 years ago and then I was just experimenting with 3D SW, I merely knew how to put together a nice beginner's render but that was all.