Sign in with
Your question

WinXP Registry - Reset from DOS?

Tags:
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 30, 2007 1:05:35 PM

I did a fubar thing recently. I installed WinXP, then Vista, and all was well. But I wanted my WinXP drive letter in WinXP to be C: drive instead of G: drive that it assigned. So I went into the registry HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and changed the "\DosDevices\x:" around to the way I wanted.

Well now Windows won't boot. It gets past the scrolling Windows splash screen, then it goes to the light blue screen with the little WidowsXP logo displayed in the middle.

Is there any way to reset my registry quickly and easily? And is there a way to rearrange my system drive letters easily?

Thanks.

More about : winxp registry reset dos

June 30, 2007 7:10:08 PM

take your xp cd boot from it, go to recovery counsole and type

bootcfg /rebuild

see if that helps ;) 
July 1, 2007 12:21:05 AM

Thanks but no go. It game me an error that is due to a corrupt operating sytem. Chkdsk ran through ok with no errors.
Related resources
July 1, 2007 2:14:31 AM

Thanks for the xp repair link. I actually fell on that myself, but looked like it was just resinstalling so cancelled and started all over. Since both XP and Vista were fresh installs, not a big deal, just another few hours of my life wasted. (Thanks Microsoft!)
July 1, 2007 2:57:18 AM

no repair is not reinstall, it keeps everything you have just resets some ms regkeys and files ;)  its not a reinstall at all ;) 
July 1, 2007 3:01:42 AM

Strange, because it was going through the whole install sequence it seemed.
July 1, 2007 4:37:39 AM

yes but when its done all you have to do is install your graphic card drivers and any other special drivers you may need like if you have a special party keyboard and mouse but other then those you will find your pc as it was before ;) 

as long as you did everything in my guide step by step ;) 
!