HD Problem with Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD on Time..

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 15, 2004 9:04:26 PM

Hi All -
I am now on my 2nd SA Explorer 8000 HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable
of Charlotte. Both times it seems to have suddenly lost it's harddrive
while recording - possibly while recording 2 shows at the same time. I
no longer here the constant activity on the HD as usual. I actually
hear nothing from it internally. The guide works, but if you try to
record, pause, etc., it just goes "grey", or pops uip a message that
"There may be a problem with your harddrive - please call customer
service if the problem continues after a reboot". Both times it has
needed replacing ?
Is there some known issue with the SA boxes losing the HD's ? Is TW
causing this with programming activity ? Did I just have two lemons ?
Thanks -
Todd Gribble
trgribble@ctc.net
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 2:09:36 AM

In article <1103161797.501253.112410@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"tgb2eno" <trgribble@ctc.net> wrote:

> Hi All -
> I am now on my 2nd SA Explorer 8000 HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable
> of Charlotte. Both times it seems to have suddenly lost it's harddrive
> while recording - possibly while recording 2 shows at the same time. I
> no longer here the constant activity on the HD as usual. I actually
> hear nothing from it internally. The guide works, but if you try to
> record, pause, etc., it just goes "grey", or pops uip a message that
> "There may be a problem with your harddrive - please call customer
> service if the problem continues after a reboot". Both times it has
> needed replacing ?

Had the same problem with two units in NYC (also TWC). First unit I
returned for replacement. Second unit cleared up after I pulled the
plug and let it restart.
December 16, 2004 6:38:22 AM

tgb2eno wrote:

>I am now on my 2nd SA Explorer 8000 HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable
>of Charlotte.

Maybe you got the two that we sent back to TWC Raleigh before giving up. We
didn't lose HFs, but suffered from stutters, hangs, and poor picture quality.

And yes, there seem to be known HF problems with the model, mostly due to heat
problems. Perhaps your setup did not have enough ventilation for this
easy-bake oven?

JGM

Yes, there are known problem
Related resources
December 16, 2004 10:13:56 PM

I had the same problem with the 8000HD FROM tw in Albany, NY. Brought
it back and got the 8300HD. Works great. Faster, bigger drive better
operation. Ask for one- it's wrth it.
Jim
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 3:26:14 AM

> I had the same problem with the 8000HD FROM tw in Albany, NY. Brought
> it back and got the 8300HD. Works great. Faster, bigger drive better
> operation. Ask for one- it's wrth it.

I picked up my 8000 today. I asked and the person said it was the only one
they were distributing. Lie? Time Warner of NYC.
!