chunkydome

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Ok, so i installed Windows Vista Ultimate without any problem, but when i started to move data to the hard drive under the new OS, several events didn't quite add up.

I would move say a 2 Gb video to the hard drive under vista, and it could take up between 2 to 3 Gb's depending on....well i really don't know what it depends on. I continued to move more files onto the hard drive and for some reason the same thing happened. It takes up more space than it it supposed too.

The same thing happens when i install an app, but its a little different. Say I install a game and it will use 4 Gb of space. I'll turn the pc off and then back on. That space taken by the game is now slightly different.

I will also downlaod some smaller files about 200 Mb and it will end up saying it uses about 1 Gb.

Its like there is a delayed reaction in the registry or something on the space taken up by data.

Oh and what's the deal with the 16 bit app's not working. I installed one (not knowing it was 16 bit) and it worked fine for a while until it wouldn't let me save. What are the specifics of how the 16 bit, 64 bit differnece works?

Solution
Legacy DOS / Windows apps were often 16-bit apps. MS has been trying to dump 16-bit for years... but it seems some users still insist upon clinging to it like they cling to floppy drives. These apps were never supposed to work with XP or Vista and yet you sometimes get lucky and they do.

How is your hard drive formatted? FAT32? NTFS? The cluster size may not be a standard size.
Legacy DOS / Windows apps were often 16-bit apps. MS has been trying to dump 16-bit for years... but it seems some users still insist upon clinging to it like they cling to floppy drives. These apps were never supposed to work with XP or Vista and yet you sometimes get lucky and they do.

How is your hard drive formatted? FAT32? NTFS? The cluster size may not be a standard size.

Solution