C2D internet modem problems

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
hi
i realalise that this is is in completely tht wrong place, forgive me but it doesnt get answered anywer else.

anywho, i recently got a ethernet modem to access the internet on my C2D, to go on THG ect. any way i configer it to access intenet with my ISP username and password. so this new modem should be accessing my modem right? but how do i get IE and my PC to access the internet through as it doesnt show up in the list of connections.

how can i get it to work. pls help
sorry again that its in wrong place, give it 12hours and itll be gone.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
hi
i realalise that this is is in completely tht wrong place, forgive me but it doesnt get answered anywer else.

anywho, i recently got a ethernet modem to access the internet on my C2D, to go on THG ect. any way i configer it to access intenet with my ISP username and password. so this new modem should be accessing my modem right? but how do i get IE and my PC to access the internet through as it doesnt show up in the list of connections.

humm...
Check your ethernet connections. Check and see if your modem recognize your PC.

If yes, then all you need to do is to go to the network connection, go to properties of the specific connection, and set everything to auto detect.

If not, then double check the wiring. It could be wire's problem, or maybe something else. You can also "ping" the router, by entering router's IP address (it depends on the manufacturer's default setting. e.g, Linksys is 192.168.1.1).

To do that, go to run, type in cmd, and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

You can PM me if you have anymore question.

P.S. Apologize for the hasty writing. I'm kind of in a hurry :oops:

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
hi

\um... WHAT?
ethernet modem?!?!?!

lol

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I guess that card is for ADSL? Did you get it from your internet service, or did you buy it, without the service knowing?

I think shadow is correct and prolly preventing you to get an IP. That MAC address needs to be registered on that network in order to receive a public IP, if it was not given by the service that you use for internet connectivity.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
hi

\um... WHAT?
ethernet modem?!?!?!

lol

errr, ethenet modem: has adsl input, but output ethernet network cable connection to my PC or switch/hub

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
You need to do a better job explaining your current set-up to get any relevant help.

I think what you're saying is:

You have an ADSL external modem that connects via a cat5 cable to your PC's onboard ethernet card...am I right?

If that is the case and you have an "always on" internet service you need to go into IE options/connections and click never dial a connection. Then click the LAN button and select auto detect settings (although this can be left unchecked in some cases).

If your ethernet card is configured right you should then be able to connect.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
hi

\um... WHAT?
ethernet modem?!?!?!

lol

errr, ethenet modem: has adsl input, but output ethernet network cable connection to my PC or switch/hub

it's a DSL Modem. ethernet modem can eather mean the cable version or the adsl version.