Restore not working XP SP2

Hello,

I'm using XP Pro SP2 and the restore feature worked great during SP1.
However using SP2 for a few months and on a regular basis, each time I want
to restore to a prior restore point it fails. I will choose the restore
point, it will restart the computer, and when I log on, it's at that point
when XP says failed to restore, incomplete. The restore point I use was
only a few hours old. Usually I will create a restore point just before I
do an install, just in case...

Can anyone shed some light on what's happening? Thanks,

MarkC

Hi Mark,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
the page below along with any other error message generated by System
Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

MarkC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using XP Pro SP2 and the restore feature worked great
> during SP1. However using SP2 for a few months and on a
> regular basis, each time I want to restore to a prior
> restore point it fails. I will choose the restore point,
> it will restart the computer, and when I log on, it's at
> that point when XP says failed to restore, incomplete. The restore
> point I use was only a few hours old. Usually I will create a
> restore point just before I do an
> install, just in case...
> Can anyone shed some light on what's happening? Thanks,
>
> MarkC

Thanks Bert for the reply.

I went to the link and it gives in-depth information about system restore.
I can create restore points, but when it comes time to use one, it fails.
First thing I did was to check the event viewer, there were no error
messages generated on the failed attempts, actually no record restore
attempts were made.

Mark C

MarkC wrote:
> Thanks Bert for the reply.
>
> I went to the link and it gives in-depth information about system restore.
> I can create restore points, but when it comes time to use one, it fails.
> First thing I did was to check the event viewer, there were no error
> messages generated on the failed attempts, actually no record restore
> attempts were made.
>
> Mark C
>

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Mark,
>>
>>Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>>Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in the
>>page below along with any other error message generated by System Restore.
>>This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>>System Restore Failures to restore:
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>http://dts-l.org/
>>

>>MarkC wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm using XP Pro SP2 and the restore feature worked great
>>>during SP1. However using SP2 for a few months and on a
>>>regular basis, each time I want to restore to a prior
>>>restore point it fails. I will choose the restore point,
>>>it will restart the computer, and when I log on, it's at
>>>that point when XP says failed to restore, incomplete. The restore point
>>>I use was only a few hours old. Usually I will create a restore point
>>>just before I do an
>>>install, just in case...
>>>Can anyone shed some light on what's happening? Thanks,
>>>
>>>MarkC

You didn't indicate if you had purged your restore points.
System restore is notorious for becoming corrupt. The only thing
you can do at that point is turn off system restore and reboot.
This will clear the restore points. You can then turn restore back
on. Hopefully, once this is done your ability to restore will return.

gls858

Continue with the troubleshooting tips on the page supplied.