Possible PSU problem

el57

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Alright whenever I go to turn my computer on the fans start and the light turns on but nothing else turns on, not the optical drive, the monitor, the usb peripherals, or anything. Does anyone know if this is a PSU problem, or something else like a motherboard problem?

Specs:
PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR 430watts
1 gb Corsair RAM
Intel 6300
Gigabyte ds3

foz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
Is the 4 pin cpu power connector plugged in? What kind of video card do you have? Your power supply might not be powerful enough with only 19amps on the 12volt rail.

foz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
With only 14amps I dont think your power supply has close to enough power. Look at the PSU 101+102 stickey and get a power supply with at least 20-25 amps on the 12volt rail.

Did you change any parts? What happened right before you started to get the indications/failures to start? Do you have a PSU tester? These small/cheap tools are great for doing a quick PSU assesment.

There are two things that typically cause your symptoms: bad PSU or bad mobo. If the system has been running fine with all of the same components, then you have to try to eliminate either the PSU or mobo. The first thing that I would check is to make sure that the inside of the case is clean. If clean, then I would take a quick look at the capacitors on the mobo to make sure none of the capacitors are bulging/leaking. If the caps are good, then I would reseat all cards, RAM, and power connections to make sure they were properly inserted with good connections.

Try this stuff for a start and let us know what happens.