Can't get XP Pro to install

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I had a corrupt version of XP on my computer and it wouldnt boot anymore. I downloaded a program from Seagate and had to completely erase the hard drive "zero all option". I then set the BIOS to fail/safe settings, set boot order 1. cd 2.cd 3. hdd0, set AGP speed to 2x (I would remove card for install but MB has no video).for the new install. When I go to install XP Pro SP2 it loads files, then formats (long format) the drive with no problem but then when it goes to copy the installation files it always stops and says it is missing a file "cyycoins.chm." It then does this for many more files after that. I then thought maybe my HD was defective so I installed a new one and it does the same exact thing. I know the CD is good because my friend has successfully used it multiple times. Can someone please give me any suggestions?!

Just wanted to add some info. It is a custom PC, Epox 8kha+ MB, Athlon XP 1500, 512mb ddr, Primary master: 60 gb HDD, Secondary master:cdrom, secondary slave: cd-rw, 128 MB AGP radeon, PCI: soundcard,ethernet. When I built it years ago the original XP disc installed in this configuration no problem first time. I tried using that copy as well but it won't work either. Please help me this has been driving me insane trying to figure it out!!!

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
normally you get that error if the CD is dirty or scratched or something, my bet is on the CD, not sure when your friend used it last but I think its the CD ;) unless its your CD drive itself or the ide port maybe or maybe ram, have you tried a different HDD?

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I think the CD should be fine because he just burnt it and said he had used it before. Also my old copy of XP which I had used many times before was getting a different error when I tried using that. I tried installing a new HDD and I got the same error so I dont think its that. I think I tried installing on the other CD drive and it got the same error. How can I check the IDE port and Ram? I also wonder if it would help by removing excess drives and running just 1 cd rom, no floppy, etc.?