Samsung TX-P2675WH & HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
December 16, 2004 8:05:21 AM

I was looking at projection systems, both front and rear but after reading
these newsgroups I think the various technologies are changing too rapidly at
this time. I have read that CRT systems are hard to beat if you don't need a
large screen for HDTV. Been looking at the Samsung TX-P2675WH and would like
some comments about it as a high quality HDTV system.

Thanks

Paul

More about : samsung p2675wh hdtv

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 16, 2004 8:05:22 AM

Pdelpriore wrote:

> I was looking at projection systems, both front and rear but
> after reading these newsgroups I think the various technologies
> are changing too rapidly at this time. I have read that CRT
> systems are hard to beat if you don't need a large screen for
> HDTV. Been looking at the Samsung TX-P2675WH and would like
> some comments about it as a high quality HDTV system.

I have the TX-P2670WH, which I think is almost identical to the 2675
except for the look and layout of the TV's front. It gives a far
better picture per dollar than any flatscreen set does, but it is not
ideal, and can't compete with the picture you'd get from, say, a recent
similar-sized Sony. Its most glaring defect is that the color spots
are too large. Even from six feet away you can see a faint vertical
striping -- the color dots are side-by-side, like |||, rather than in a
triangular grid like .'. -- and the sharpness suffers a bit in the
horizontal direction because of this. So, it is definitely a budget
model. Yet in spite of that, the picture compares favorably with
flatscreen sets costing three times as much.

If you're not that budget oriented, I'd look at the Sony and Toshiba
CRT models. Their color spots are much more fine-grained.

One brand to avoid would be Philips. Their similarly sized and priced
sets are definitely inferior to this one, and service techs are rumored
to dislike them.

One thing I like about my set is that it's much better at smoothly
presenting non-HD content without blobby artifacts than a lot of other
sets have been. Some other brands now match that, but as recently as
six months ago even Sony was inferior in this area. Check that before
you buy.

By default the picture is set to a "warm" color temperature. I set it
to "neutral" and think it's better that way. Also, the default audio
equalizer settings are all weird and lumpy. I flatten them out and
crank the treble bands up, because the built-in speakers are
unimpressive and need help with high frequencies.
December 16, 2004 8:41:45 AM

Love it great tv set
Tom
a b Ô Samsung
December 16, 2004 11:23:20 AM

"Pdelpriore" <pdelpriore@aol.com> wrote in message
> I was looking at projection systems, both front and rear but after reading
> these newsgroups I think the various technologies are changing too rapidly
at
> this time. I have read that CRT systems are hard to beat if you don't
need a
> large screen for HDTV. Been looking at the Samsung TX-P2675WH and would
like
> some comments about it as a high quality HDTV system.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Mechanically it's difficult to produce a Glass CRT for High resolution.
Besides needing better focus and convergence registration there is the
matter of dot pitch. The more dots on the screen the finer the shadow mask
in the picture tube. Too fine and it has no mechanical strength (warps in
shipment causing purity problems). So you will shortly find that larger
size sets are going to be LCD projection and smaller are going to be LSD
panel TV's. In the mean time the 27 inch TV's (the cheaper ones) will have
large pitch sizes and not offer much better picture than the 480P Enhanced
HD.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 20, 2004 4:10:57 AM

D. Stussy wrote:

> There is one thing that is rather annoying: When one is on a channel
> that has a MARGINAL DTV signal, the remote control response time is
poor.

Yes, that's true of all of them, I think. It's functionally minor but
has a substantial aggravation value when you have flaky reception, as I
do.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 20, 2004 11:41:34 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Pdelpriore wrote:
> I was looking at projection systems, both front and rear but after reading
> these newsgroups I think the various technologies are changing too rapidly at
> this time. I have read that CRT systems are hard to beat if you don't need a
> large screen for HDTV. Been looking at the Samsung TX-P2675WH and would like
> some comments about it as a high quality HDTV system.

I have a TX-P3071WH (same manual comes with the 2675, and these models: 2670,
2775, 3075, 3271, and 3275) and I like it.

There is one thing that is rather annoying: When one is on a channel that has
a MARGINAL DTV signal, the remote control response time is poor. It may take
up to about 5 seconds for the TV to respond - and ONLY to the last button
pressed (so one cannot do a multi-button sequence such as change channels). At
least the power LED flashes so one knows that the TV actually saw the remote's
command.

Watch out for the weight of these. Even the 26" models are 90 lbs., the 30"
models are 123 lbs., and the 32" models push 150 lbs. It's hell to take out of
the box if one is alone; get a friend to help.
December 21, 2004 6:14:36 AM

Yes that is kinda of a pain in the butt.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 22, 2004 1:41:00 AM

Tom wrote:

> Can you program a channel like ex-25.1 hdtv signal?

If the TV hasn't found it in an automatic scan, you have to tune it to
the analog channel that it's broadcast in, get a good enough signal for
it to see and recognize all of the digital subchannels, and then tune
to the subchannel you want... at this point you can put it in your list
of remembered channels with Add/Del.
December 22, 2004 7:12:02 AM

Can you program a channel like ex-25.1 hdtv signal?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 22, 2004 8:20:02 AM

I've this set for about a month. The digital QAM wouldn't work so I
wasn't picking up cable HD channels in the clear. There is a simple
firmware fix for this set, but my service experience too over a month:

Well, I finally applied the firmware patch night. The actual procedure
took all of 15 minutes, however my Samsung support experience was
nothing less than horrible. This is my first Samsunt A/V component and
I was hoping for a quality product and support. Initially called the
support number on 27 Nov. The agent provided me with a transaction
number and gave me a phone number to a local Samsung repair facility,
which was also listed on their website. He told me to call the service
center directly and coordinate the install. The following day I
received an e-mail confirming my trouble call...along with another
e-mail confirmation my online product registration. So far I was very
impressed with my Samsung experience.

I can go on for pages, but I'll save us both time and cut-to-the-quick:
call repair facility, in town, only 6 miles away. Well, the voice mail
systems answer, asks you to leave a message, then states the mailbox is
full and hang-up on the caller. I played that game for a week before
finally calling another repair center. BTW, after 4+ weeks this repair
center's voice mail still hangs-up on the caller. Samsung stated the
repair center did not reply to their faxes and the matter was escalated
to the regional manager (who was supposed to call me on at least 5
occasions, but never did). As of yesterday, Samsung cannot tell me if
this service center is still in business.

Called the 2nd closest place on my link. They were listed as being 30
miles out, but they actually more like 50. They would not not do the
repair since it was too far away. Called 3rd closest place on the list
(34 miles) and schedule an appointment. They cancel the day of the
appointment because they didn't receive the software/cable. They later
stiff me for a Saturday appointment and I refuse to deal them any
longer. Very unprofessional.

Contacted Samsung repeatedly trying to get someone to service the set.
The regional manager(s) never return my calls, as promised, but I was
told the 2nd listed installer agreed to come out and that I should call
them to schedule an appointment. Well, I call them and they say they
told Samsung, under no uncertain terms, they will not commute 50+ miles
to service my set. We played this game 3 times. Ugh! Anyway, each time I
called (even though I had a transaction number), I received another
transaction number and product registration via e-mail. Go figure!

Last night I called one of their internal 800 numbers and this time I
selected the group who support their large DLP sets. I told the guy my
story, told him I was ready to toss the set out the window, and he
helped me out of pity after reading my service call notes. I asked if
he could mail the software and cable I would do the rest; have laptop
and 23 years in the computer industry. Anyway, the guy asked if I had
an RS-232 DB9 to mini RCA cable. I told him I indeed had one with my
Universal Remote Control MX-700 programmable remote. He said that was
the required cable and all I needed was the software, which he would
send via e-mail. Yeah! I followed the simple instructions by running a
DOS batch file, but the program could not find the Samsung. Hmmm. It's
a good thing tech support also sent the ping configuration and its a
good thing they were document in the MX-700 user manual:

Samsung MX-700 Cable

pin 2-->tip pin 3-->to tip
pin 3-->ring pin 2-->to middle ring
pin 5-->sleeve pin 5-->to base ring

It was apparent that I needed an nullmodem or crossover cable. I dug
one out of the garage and everything worked like a charm. 15 minutes
later and I was scanning QAM channels. Note: when it looks like the
update has finished it will take another 5 minutes to verify the flush
update. Also, after the update finished, I kept the cable plugged into
the service port and didn't close the DOS window when scanning for OTA.
All the TV commands were being displayed. For troubleshooting purposes,
you can open comm and redirect > output to a text file.

Anyway, you can purchase the above cable and use a nullmodem or
crossover cable...or just make your own cable out of spare parts. The
cable is $10-$20 and here is a link if you're interested:
http://tinyurl.com/3ws5t

If you're interested in doing the upgrade yourself and have the cable,
send me a PM and I will send you the files and instructions.

--
riffjim4069
a b Ô Samsung

The Set: I really like the set, however it's not perfect. The geometry
is a little off, it suffers red push, and PQ is a little soft in my
opinion. Of course, this may be an unfair appraisal since my other two
sets are a Mits and Sony, which are way out of this sets price/class
level.

Anyway, just some simple menu accessible adjustments got rid of most of
the red push issues and sharpened the PQ a bit. I'm sure after I have
time to play with the service menu that I'll be able to further refine
the PQ, but I'm not sure about the geometry issues. We shall see.
This is basically a bedroom set and it's doing the job.

Customer Support: although I had a bad experience with service centers
in my area, the Samsung Support staff actually did a pretty good job. I
just feel my situation was unique and perhaps the regional manager has
hit thumb stuck up his arse.

--
riffjim4069
a b Ô Samsung

I have the TX-P2675WH and I installed the new firmware last night to fix
the QAM bug. After installing the new firmware I did a channel scan and
picked up quite a few digital channels from the Insight cable. I am now
able to pick up their pay per view feeds which is really awsome, but I
still can't get the HD local broadcasts. I will contact Insight about
this matter later.

Also.. a few things about the serial console on this television...

You can controll the TV with this port.

I have compiled a list of commands. First thing you need to do is type
"debug" and press enter
This will put the TV into debug mode. You can then type channel numbers
to change channels. and use the following keystrokes for all the other
functions:

u = channel up
d = channel down
v = video mode
a = aspect ratio
r = volume up
l = volume down
p = previous channel
i = information
y = closed captions
e = guide
q = sound mode
s = debug menu
f = favorite channel
j = 16:9
; = 4:3
/ = vchip menu
E = 100
T = sleep timer
P = picture mode
S = sound mode
Z = mute
C = antenna
M = TV/COMP
^ = reboot
k = debug menu (serial console)

Also this is what the console looks like booting up:

--cut--

Power info detected at 16030
Power info detected at 16033
Power info detected at 16035
Power info detected at 16038
Power info detected at 16041
Power info detected at 16043
Power info detected at 16046
Power info detected at 16049
Power info detected at 16051
Power info detected at 16054
[ROOT 16.056] STANDBY OUT
[ROOT 0.200] B-plus power impressed
[ROOT 0.203] DAL init
[ROOT 0.205] GPIO init
[ROOT 0.497] Peripheral reset signal assertted
- PCI CONFIGURATION START -
- Found 1'st PCI device - Samsung SAM2K DTV DEVICE
-Device Informations
- BUS NO : 0
- DEVICE NO : 13
- FUNCTION NO : 0
- VENDOR ID : 0x144D
- DEVICE ID : 0xA010
- SUB SYSTEM ID : 0x0000
- SUB SYSTEM VENDOR ID : 0x0000
- CLASS CODE : 0x048000
- BASE CLASS CODE : 0x04
- SUB CLASS CODE : 0x80
- Allocating MEM resource @ 0x40000000 with size 0x00400000
- Allocating MEM resource @ 0x42000000 with size 0x02000000
- S2_CFG_BASE ADDRESS TO CPU - 0x28006800
- PCI CONFIGURATION DONE
[ROOT 0.708] PCI configuration cycle finished
[ROOT 0.712] Unstable power handler registered
[ROOT 0.716] Print Task Creation Success
[ROOT 0.720] Print Task Starting Success
[ROOT 0.723] Uart Input Task Creation Success
[ROOT 0.727] Uart Input Task Starting Success
[ROOT 0.732] 260 MSG buffers for 4 queues
[ROOT 0.735] 8 Semaphores
[ROOT 0.738] Init TFS
[ROOT 0.744] done mounted TFS 0
[ROOT 0.747] tfs_fs_check 0
[ROOT 0.750] InitSam2kLite OK !
[ROOT 0.851] Nvram Reading start
[ROOT 0.858] Service data read start
[ROOT 0.862] Service NVRAM ID - 0xD3
======================================
Service data information
======================================
NVRAM offset : 0x000000A8
NVRAM V_AMP value : 0x0000001E
NVRAM_SERVICE_TYPE : 332 bytes
NVRAM_DEFLECTION_SERVICE_TYPE : 40 bytes
NVRAM_VIDEO1_SERVICE_TYPE : 40 bytes
NVRAM_VIDEO2_SERVICE_TYPE : 32 bytes
NVRAM_VIDEO3_SERVICE_TYPE : 40 bytes
NVRAM_VIDEO4_SERVICE_TYPE : 32 bytes
NVRAM_VIDEO5_SERVICE_TYPE : 60 bytes
NVRAM_DNIE2_SERVICE_TYPE : 80 bytes
======================================
[ROOT 0.928] Service data read done
[ROOT 0.940] System NVRAM ID - 0x5A5A5A5A
[ROOT 1.072] Nvram Reading is Done
[ROOT 1.226] Error in sending on time to micom
[ROOT 1.230] YEAR:2005,MONTH:1,DAY:4,HOUR:7,MIN:3,SEC:48
[ROOT 1.291] Color mode is YPbPr mode
[ROOT 1.294] Output Resolution Init Select OK !
[S2LDP_Set_Screen]<176.20>, <2096.560> : <0.0>
m_v_coef(148433124) = ms_v_size(540) * 256 / Disp_v_size(540)
[ROOT 1.324] TvManagerInit OK
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.334] Nextwave init start!
[NIM_Reset - 1.339]
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.352] Digital osc control
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.357] NxtInit2004Driver done
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.363] Nextwave uCode down start!
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.859] Nextwave uCode down finish!
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.911] NxtSetMpegMode done
[DRV_VSB_Init 1.915] Nextwave init done!
[ROOT 2.073] sound mute off
[ROOT 2.078] Init AIC Cache
[ROOT 2.114] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:0, result:0
[ROOT 2.195] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:1, result:0
[ROOT 2.217] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:2, result:0
[ROOT 2.231] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:3, result:0
[ROOT 2.354] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:4, result:0
[ROOT 2.359] Init Ext Ic by Ram Cache, ic_type:5, result:0
[ROOT 2.365] CXA2165 warm start

[API_VIDEO] @@@ API_VIDEO_SetColorTemp 3
[ROOT 2.375] Init Video Preset
[ROOT 2.434] Init Audio Preset
[ROOT 2.437] Beeper start
[ROOT 3.526] Beeper end
[ROOT 3.638] Init Clock/Time

[API_VIDEO] @@@ API_VIDEO_SetColorTemp 3

[API_VIDEO] @@@ API_VIDEO_SetColorTemp 3
[ROOT 3.673] Before OPticInit .............
[ROOT 3.677] Starting the Iniialization of OPTIC Driver!
[ROOT 3.682] OPTICSetup : OpInitialize OK !!
<<<S2LGP_Set_WinPosition>>> horizontal start position (10)
[ROOT 3.701] OPTICSetup : OpOpenDisplay OK !!
[ROOT 3.706] EW_InitEventManager: Good OK=00000000
[ROOT 3.710] EW_RegisterApp: Good OK=00000000
[ROOT 3.714] EW_SpawnTask: EW_RegisterApp: Good OK=00000000
[ROOT 3.720] CoGetQueueOfTask!
[ROOT 3.723] Creating Task : "Input Task"
[ROOT 3.726] Creating Task : "Caption Input Task"
[ROOT 3.731] Creating Task : "EPG Engine Task"
[ROOT 3.735] Starting Task : "Input Task"
[ROOT 3.739] Starting Task : "Caption Input Task"
[ROOT 3.743] Starting Task : "EPG Engine Task"
[ROOT 3.766] X-Ray protection enabled
[ROOT 3.769] All Initialization Done Root Suspend

banner before...
menu before...
service before...
[API_VIDEO] @@@ API_VIDEO_SetColorTemp 3

[API_VIDEO] @@@ API_VIDEO_SetColorTemp 3
LNA is OFF
383 API_VDP_SetVideo(5002)
[S2L_DecSyncCheck] : dec sync count is 1/1, escape count is 49
[VDP_ConvArcToVdp] display_mode is 16:9
[S2LDP_Set_Screen]<176.20>, <2096.560> : <0.0>
m_v_coef(148433124) = ms_v_size(720) * 256 / Disp_v_size(540)
[S2L_DecSyncCheck] : dec sync count is 5/5, escape count is 12
388 after API_VDP_SetVideo(645)
[ROOT 5.650] UI_MAIN_ReadNvram_ChMap() START
[API_SYS_CRCCheck_FlashImage] IMAGE ADDR = 0x02080000, CRC =
0x977C0C17
[ROOT 6.564] UI_MAIN_ReadNvram_ChMap() END
caption_status : 2

--cut--

At one point or another I saw that this thing has a 160Mhz CPU and an
ethernet controller.

This is a powerfull box.

- Jason

--
jgarland79
March 5, 2005 5:44:15 PM

the_dude Wrote:
> Is there any special COM setting for this?

115200 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop

I also enable XON/XOFF handshaking, but it is not clear to me whether
the TV obeys it.

--
boristhespider, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
!