CONNECTION IN HELP AND SUPPORT

I NEED HELP PLEASE.....In the Help and Support under the area titled DID YOU
KNOW....it should list some info, etc. but it only says to run the connection
wizard and when I do it says everything is done but yet when I go back to the
same area it says to run the connection area. CAN anyone please help me?

On Sun, 8 May 2005 20:11:01 -0700, Dust Help wrote:

> I NEED HELP PLEASE.....In the Help and Support under the area titled DID YOU
> KNOW....it should list some info, etc. but it only says to run the connection
> wizard and when I do it says everything is done but yet when I go back to the
> same area it says to run the connection area. CAN anyone please help me?

I think that part of Help is broken. I have seen the same thing on my
system. That is one form of the problem. The other is that "Did you know"
gets stuck on a date and does not refresh.

I've used the tips for resetting the store for Help Center without success.
Tweaking the firewall has no effect. However I was able to get this section
going again by removing all protections put in place by anti-spyware
programs (AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, etc). Then resetting IE as
the default browser and restoring all default IE settings (both of these IE
related things can be done in Internet Options).

It worked for about two weeks. Somewhere along the line - tweaking here and
there, putting protections back in place - it became "broken again." I
believe this is due to an undefined interaction between new security
measures in SP2, preferred settings in IE and the extra protections from
the anti-spyware programs.

If you think about it with a light on security, this annoyance makes sense.
You don't want a local program, accessing the internet and downloading
content without express permission. In this case, the program is "innocent"
- Help and Support - but apparently the mechanisms that block this cannot
tell if the action has been initiated by an "innocent" or malicious
program.

There is no apparent setting to remove the block for Help and Support - at
least not one that I've found. Although this is a nice feature that is
missed when it doesn't work, I have decided to leave this alone for now as
this is not a critical part of XP's functionality.

You can view pretty much the same content by visiting the main page of
Microsoft's Help and Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

or the Windows Solution Center linked off of that page. Click Pick a
Product and then Windows> Windows XP to arrive here:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

(NOTE: If using a language other than English -US, the final destination
may not be that exact page. Follow the links from Help and Support home
page to the Windows XP solution center instead of using the URL pasted
here.)

Sorry I don't have a "fix" for you but if you google this issue, you'll
find that there is no pat solution for this problem. Even folks that have
reinstalled/rebuilt everything on their systems seem to end up in the same
spot again. However, as far as I can tell, no one program, no particular
Windows update and no fixed combo of IE settings has come to light as the
cause. At least you'll know that you're not alone on this.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I thought perhaps that broken area may have something to do with why my
system sometimes says I need to connect to the net or work offline. I am
always connectioned with broadband so why would it say I am not sometimes/?

On Mon, 9 May 2005 07:36:01 -0700, Dust Help wrote:

> I thought perhaps that broken area may have something to do with why my
> system sometimes says I need to connect to the net or work offline. I am
> always connectioned with broadband so why would it say I am not sometimes/?

Have broadband here and have seen the same notice. Guessing: Since the
program cannot connect, it incorrectly assumes you do not have a
connection. Or Help and Support simply doesn't have an appropriate message
for the situation (failure to update this area) and displays the only
message it has available instead.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User