Status
Not open for further replies.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Finally I have my Vista 64 bit O.S. back to ALL functions I was running with XP. That is to say I now have Faxing, Scanning, Sound, Printing etc.

The faxing was a little tricky. Yes, there is 64 bit faxing software available from vendors but, where are the 64 bit drivers for the fax/data modems? YOU MUST HAVE BOTH. My personal solution was to go with U.S.Robotics and their external USB 56K Modem Model 5633B (They are located in the U.K. and must have tens of model numbers for the same device).

Don’t make the mistake I made by trusting the reps in the United Kingdom to send you the “right” 64 bit drivers by email. There are drivers meant for the U.K. and there are drivers meant for North America. I spent a couple of days trying the U.K. drivers and was GOING NUTS.

The CORRECT 64 bit driver for Model 5633B is found on the North American U.S. Robotics Website which is virtually indistinguishable from the U.K. Website. Here it is:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5633b

The free software that accompanies the Modem is quite basic and unsophisticated. But, it does work. It does NOT use the printing function of your O.S. and it is down to a “copy and paste” into the message part of your faxing “Phone Tools”. I don’t send that many faxes and so far have found it adequate.

Windows Vista Home Premium
64-bit Operating System
I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Gateway FX510S
Intel(R) Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz
800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T
Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard
BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358
600-Watt power supply
4093 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

(IP Provider Cox Cable)
Download: 10.0 Mbps Upload: 1.0 Mbps
Coaxial direct to tower for TV viewing on Monitor

(Hardware)
HP ScanJet G4050 Scanner (complete with 64-bit software and 64-bit drivers) with HP Photosmart
U.S.Robotics External USB 56K Fax Modem Model 5633B
Linksys Cable Modem Ethernet connection
HP LaserJet 1300 PCL 5 printer
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers and Sub-Woofer
20” Envision LCD Monitor
30 GB Zune Digital Media Player
APC Back-UPS ES 750
Western Digital 60 GB Removable hard drive
Belkin 15in1 Media Reader/Writer

(All Software—64 bit compatible)
MS Office Professional 2007
Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.1
Adobe Reader 8.1
Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
MS Zune Software Version 1.4
Phone Tools Faxing Software free U.S.Robotics

Solution
Faxing Software update; US Robotics external fax modem (model 5633B) for Vista 64 bit.

Found a software update for the BVRP Phone Tools faxing software (free with purchase of US Robotics modem) for my fax/data modem AND supports Vista 64 bit.

HURRAH!...

I can now fax any document..Anything I can print can now be faxed…

The update is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Faxing Software update; US Robotics external fax modem (model 5633B) for Vista 64 bit.

Found a software update for the BVRP Phone Tools faxing software (free with purchase of US Robotics modem) for my fax/data modem AND supports Vista 64 bit.

HURRAH!...

I can now fax any document..Anything I can print can now be faxed…

The update is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.