Sign in with
Your question

CPU random restarts/blocks WinXP OS2

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2007 9:46:42 PM

Hi guys,

I recently bought a CPU (Intel 640 Prescott Core, 2Mb L2 Cache FSB800) and replaced with a Celeron 2.6 (256kb L2 Cache, 533 FSB). The new CPU causes me random restarts. The following information include:

My CPU is at about 50-54 Celsius when it restarts;
When i start any game it restarts;
Sometimes, when switching ON the Computer after its long pause, i can play games up to maximum 15 minutes and it restarts;
When i work on MSN it also restarts and it happened to block my XP two times;
When i watch Video Music Files and surfing Internet it reboots too;

This implies that processor is not so loaded. I used the same things with Celeron and i did not have any problems.

My memory is 1 Gb DDR400 Dual, my Video Card is GForce 7100GS 512Mb and my Power Supply is 300W. The same worked fine with Celeron 2.6.

The several options going in my mind regarding this problem may be: the CPU fan has 3000-3200rpm which is one of the factors (my Speedfan shows that my CPU during playing games or copying a file is between 55-58 Celsius), the second option includes a conflict between CPU and RAM, the third option includes the lack of Power Supply and the last option (The interesting one) is that the CPU reads (Intel 640 '05 - China), whcih may be one of several defects they may bring out from manufacturing.

Since I am really confused, can you really help me or did anyone have the same problem like i have now.

Thanks,

Albert
May 8, 2007 10:03:55 PM

1st off, when you installed the new CPU, were you installing a retail or OEM?

Retail should have came with a HSF, OEM does not come with HSF.

One thing I'm trying to understand, if you reinstalled the new CPU correctly with the original HSF with or without fresh thermal compound.

2nd, is it the 4 pin type of HS? Can you verify that the 4 pins are going through the MB on the other side?

edit:

Also, when you open task manager, do you see 2 CPU charts?
May 8, 2007 10:44:45 PM

Did you buy a used CPU? -it might have been OC'ed...
Related resources
May 13, 2007 1:59:47 AM

Hi Grimmy,

I bought the CPU without heatsink. I got the heatsink separately (it is a heatsing that came along with ASUS motherboard). The thermal layer was its original and available. I changed the heatsink as well, i bought the new one in a package due to thsi rpoblem, i installed and i have the same problem.

I just realized that it is not the cooling issue the main problem. At work i have a 2.4 1 Mb L2 (socket 478) processor which works fine even during high temperatures (57-62 C) and it has a heatsink with similar fanspeed.

Well in fact, the HS has four pin cable as my motherboard does. my motherboard is AsRock 775Dual-880Pro, 1Gig DDR400, 512Mb PCIExpress VGA Card and worked very well with LGA Celeron D 2.6. I did not have the same problem I have with this.

My CPU (first one from left) photo link: http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2006/06/27/20922.jpg

In just about two-three hours my computer restarted 4 times, and i was just surfing and using the MSN. Sometimes, it blocks the Windows for about 3-4 seconds and then restarts (during the OS block, i press any keyboard key and i hear the motherboard's speaker). I installed the WinXP for the second time, and the results are again the same.

When my brother wants to play a game, it immediately restarts upon starting the game. The games include Counter Strike, Star Wars BAttlefront and other which did work perfectly with Celeron.

I also made a BIOS microcode update of the Motherboard. The results are the same.

Regarding the CPU configuration, it is automatically regulated by the motherboard and when i activate the Task Manager it shows two CPU charts.

When i go to dxdiag it shows: 2CPUs.

Can you please tell me what should i do.

Albert
May 13, 2007 2:33:39 AM

First, did you reinstall Windows after installing the new CPU? Your new CPU has features such as Hyperthreading which the Celeron did not have, and so Windows likely did not install the appropriate low-level code for that when you installed it on the Celeron.
If you don't want to do a full reinstall, do at least a "repair install" of Windows.

Also, make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.
May 13, 2007 3:40:04 AM

Your problem is that you're running OS2. Horrible and rightly extinct operating system! (Running and ducking...) :lol: 
May 13, 2007 4:37:51 AM

Quote:
First, did you reinstall Windows after installing the new CPU? Your new CPU has features such as Hyperthreading which the Celeron did not have, and so Windows likely did not install the appropriate low-level code for that when you installed it on the Celeron.
If you don't want to do a full reinstall, do at least a "repair install" of Windows.

Also, make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.

It might be helpful to reinstall it, but if it's a heat problem, or PSU problem, or just a problem overlooked that causes reboots, I think windows will have problems just reinstalling.

I went from a P4 2.66 (Non-HT) to P4 3.0 (HT) without having to do anything for windows. Also, I can turn off HT in the bios, and windows adjusts accordingly. Taskmanger also shows 1 graph with CPU load to 100 percent vs 50 percent with HT on.

Drivers might be a possiblity, but if it ran fine with the celeron.. ummm.. :?
May 13, 2007 4:52:04 AM

Whelp... things I'd check:

1. Airflow on the case.

2. Might be a pain, but I would try to make sure the 4 pins are going through the MB from looking at it from the back, which means taking the MB out of the PC case.

3. Run Prime95 (stresses CPU). If that program heats up the CPU to the point to where it reboots, then I'd have to say its a heat problem. Or if their is a hardware problem, it will error out.

4. Memtest to be sure just to rule out any RAM problems.

5. 300w PSU, eh? Might want to try PSU Calculator to see somewhat of a difference each CPU load could be doing to it, from all other hardware puting a load on the PSU.

Not sure what else to recommend. I'd reinstall windows as a last resort perhaps.
May 13, 2007 12:02:22 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for being active. Unfortunately i did not have PC spare parts to compare and seek the problem behind all of this.

When checking my Graphic Card i realized that it has a DDR2 (533 Mhz) Memory which interacted very well with LGA Celeron D 2.66 (533FSBMhz) and the DDR400 Bus Memory.

When i swaped the Celeron with Pentium 640 HT 3.2 (800FSBMhz) the interaction seems to be lost. It is interesting because my DDR400 Memory does not like interacting with such processor.

So i borrowed from a friend of mine the DDR333 PQi (256 Mb) and now it works fine. Now i need to see what i can do with non-corresponding 1Gb of RAM.

So in case I have the same problem I need to get another processor, motherboard and PSU for further investigation.

Thanks guys,
May 13, 2007 11:22:39 PM

Ram would be another problem or a source of reboots...

But that is very odd that the P4 640 chip is having problems with the faster ram, and is working fine with the slower ram. I see the MB you run will run DDR (1GB max) or DDR2 (1GB max). I know or think your not suppose run them in a mix, or in other words you can't run both at the same time.

The P4 640 chip should be able to be run with DDR400 or faster memory on that board, since the bios reduces the speed on ram automatically (for DDR2). Are you sure your getting the right numbers (cpu and ram)? The reason why I ask is because my old P4 2.66 was a 533FSB CPU which did run on DDR333 memory (512x2=1GB) for the longest time. Later on the road, I gave my dad my DDR333, and brought DDR400 (1x1=1GB) for OCing. After that, I upgraded the CPU to P4 3.0/HT/800FSB. (The main difference is mine is 478 socket, but the numbers should still apply)

I guess what I'm trying to get at, that P4 640 800FSB chip, shouldn't run on DDR333 unless it is not a P4 640. That ram would simply be too slow. Running the DDR2 533 should have worked fine, unless its speed was reduced too far by the bios.

Not sure if you ever used CPU-Z but that should give you allot of info on your system, and you could share with us. Might help even shed some light on what might be wrong.

Thinking about it, you prolly should have got an E4300 or E6320 C2D chip instead of that other chip (640) you got for that MB.

Edit:

Doing the math on the 640 chip.. isn't that a 3.2 ghz chip? If it is:

200 x 16 = 3.2ghz

That is for DDR400. On the other hand DDR333 memory, I don't see how thats possible:

133 x 16 = 2.66ghz

:?
May 13, 2007 11:44:24 PM

Another possibility is that since unfortunately you have a low-quality motherboard, it may not be working properly with a faster 800MHz FSB CPU.
May 13, 2007 11:55:48 PM

Agreed... but its just plain strange that it runs at all. :lol: 
May 14, 2007 1:09:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

I took a Kingston DDR400 256Mb RAM and i removed the DDR333Mhz. The OS2 operation is normal and i did not freeze, similar with DDR333.

This means that my old RAM DDR400 does not correspond well with 3.2 and my PCI-E Nvidia Graphic Card. Why i say this. It is possible that the RAM manufacturer itself was convenient with a Celeron 2.66 (533Mhz) and DDR2/3 Graphic Card (~533-667Mhz).

But when i changed the Processor: the connection between bus speeds 800Mhz - 400Mhz - 533/667Mhz were inconvenient for my old RAM. So when i inserted the Kingston DDR400, now it works fine and never got restarted. And I am very surprised with the very good performance of the computer (working only with 256Mb DDR RAM) knowing that mine has lot of programs and is loaded.

I checked the bios of my motherboard and CPU configuration is fine (200 x 16). I checked RAM, it is also fine (DDR400 and Dual Channel). The rest of all complicated things are set to Auto - based on default Motherboards settings.

It may be possible that Motherboards are very sensitive in choosing PC parts you want to install. Microstar and ASUS Motherboards provide a list of selective DDR Memories that may work good.

Someone said that my Motherboard isn't good. Well i am attaching the link of it in brackets [ http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-880... ] so comment me whether you find something strange regarding my motherboard.

But my problem is not over yet. Now since OS2 works fine, it seems that the current connection between bus speeds 800Mhz - 400Mhz - 533/667Mhz is not suitable for Gaming activities. As soon as i start any game the PC restarts. This well did not happen with old connection (533Mhz - 400Mhz - 533/667Mhz).
My PCI-E AGP Card is this: http://www.palit.biz/en/products/nv_pcie_7100GS.html

My DDR400 RAM is this:
http://www.newwayic.com/StarRam%20DDR%20Module.htm

[/img]The last resort for me is the DDR RAM Bus Speed, i plan to take a DDR RAM with 533/667Mhz or finally, to replace the Motherboard.

I would like to sum up this again. The Motherboard accepted the connections between Celeron 2.66 (533Mhz), DDR400 and 533/667Mhz PCI-E Card without problem.

When i changed the CPU making it 3.2 (800Mhz) neither OS2 and gaming operated normally, resulting with PC restarts and OS2 freeze/Explorer Halt.

I removed the old DDR400 and added Kingston instead. Now the OS2 works fine but games not !!!! (when i start game it restarts my computer).

The last resort is to get a faster bus DDR RAM or to change the motherboard.

With regard to OS2, it has been reinstalled and has no viruses (checked it with Mcafee DOS Antivirus).

Thank you,

Albert
May 14, 2007 3:16:11 PM

I recently went thru a similar experience and spent days browsing all the other posts concerning this type of problem. I tried all the hardware and software variations mentioned and it turned out to be as simple as taking off the SATA cable that came with the hard drive (WD 160GB Caviar) and replacing it with the cable that came with the motherboard (Gigabyte 965P-DS3).
May 14, 2007 10:59:42 PM

You may be paying attention to something (memory bus speed) that really has nothing to do with the problem (graphics card internal RAM speed has no connection to any MB or RAM bus speed). For example, rereading the thread I notice you mention a "300w" PS. Replacing the Celeron with a P4 would require more power (+12V in particular). Similarly, running the RAM at a faster speed would require more power. Similarly, switching from "normal" use to a graphics-intensive game would require more power. Remember, as a PS heats up and also as it ages, it slowly degrades and supplies less power.
What are the model numbers of all your components, including the power supply?
May 14, 2007 11:12:18 PM

Quote:

Someone said that my Motherboard isn't good. ... so comment me whether you find something strange regarding my motherboard.

The design/quality (especially VIA chipset) are lower than with other MBs that use Intel or nVidia chipsets. Thus, it is more likely to have compatibility problems or not to run stably at higher bus speeds.

I have an ECS MB with a similar VIA chipset. It can accept 1 or 2 DDR or DDR2 DIMMs. Supposedly, it can run the memory at either DDR2-400 or DDR2-533 speeds. However, when I install 2 DDR2-533 DIMMs, the maximum speed without errors is only DDR2-400, although DDR2-533 works fine with just 1 DIMM installed.
May 15, 2007 5:28:48 AM

Quote:

...neither OS2 and gaming operated normally

resulting with PC restarts and OS2 freeze/Explorer Halt.

Now the OS2 works fine but games not

With regard to OS2...

Albert, buddy, you're givin' me the shivers.

OS2 is an old obsolete operating system put out by IBM that went nowhere at WARP speed. :lol:  Are you talking about XP SP2 which would be Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2?
May 15, 2007 7:24:57 PM

Hi guys,

CaptRobertAprilm, my new buddy, is right. Sorry for using that expression (OS2) - i wanted to refer to WinXP. Anyway i wanted to tell you that i solved the problem.

The Motherboard, CPU and RAM is working properly - the main problem for wasting my time and bothering you as well was the Graphic Card PCI-Express ( http://www.palit.biz/en/products/nv_pcie_7100GS.html ). It seems that VIA Chipset controller of my motherboard did not manage/regulate the speed between CPU P4 640/RAM/Graphic Card as it did properly between CPU Celeron D/RAM/Graphic Card.

I changed the Graphic Card (Nvidia Geforce 7100GS) and took Club 3D ATI X300SE instead.

Now my computer does not freeze, it does not restart and games are working very good. I just played the INFERNAL game, and it works perfect.

In terms of which chipset is better than the other, i cannot comment on that. The only problem i faced was the incompatibility of these three parts (FSB800Mhz, DDR400 and DDR2 [~400-533Mhz] Graphic Card). I do not know whether it may work properly with an Intel chipset. Importantly, I am happy and i can go through my PC things normally again.

I thank everyone, especially Grimmy for finding time for me. I'll be present for any PC comments on this site.

Thanks again,

ALbert
May 15, 2007 7:55:28 PM

Glad you got it working! Intermittent erros can be very frustrating.
May 15, 2007 10:43:14 PM

Way to go, Albert! Good on ya! :D 
May 16, 2007 1:33:37 AM

Great job. Wow, I guess I would have never thought it would be a PCI-E problem.

Glad also that you got your PC working with the 640. I'm sure all the guys here have good intentions to try to help get PC problems solved like me. :D 
!