XP Login

My windows XP started as soon as the computer started but now I have to click on the icon for my user.

I don't have a password and I'm the only user for that computer so I would like it to start as soon as it boots up instead of having to click on an icon to do it.

What do I need to do to make it work as it did before?
13 answers Last reply
More about login
  1. Delete the .NET account in your Users list.
  2. Thanks Zoron
    What is that account used for?
  3. I have no idea... it's created when you install .NET Framework 1.1. When doing a clean install of Windows, I don't even bother with 1.1 or 2.0 anymore... I just install 3.0.
  4. Thanks again!
  5. Wrong! Either run Windows Update and install the .Net updates or type "control userpasswords2" in Start --> Run and uncheck the box to require passwords.

Grumpy
  6. Zoron's suggestion worked for me, but it's good to know the command that you said, I think is a good alternative.

Thanks to both of you
  7. the .net account was there for a reason, one or more of the apps you installed use it and now they will not be able to function because you remove that account ;)
  8. It's not there on my computer and I haven't noticed any ill effects. The only possible piece of software messed up by deleting the account is ATi's Catalyst Control Center... I used to have problems with it, but not since .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.
  9. ya zoron you don't have any software that uses the old versions, some still run on 1.1 and if you remove it and install 2.0 it won't work, I think fah is one of those not sure to be honest.
  10. FWIW, Dell Support is still based on .Net 1.1.

Grumpy
  11. Well then I stand corrected. I've always removed the account in the past because I never thought it was needed... well I was half right... it was just me that didn't need it.
  12. Quote:
    Wrong! Either run Windows Update and install the .Net updates or type "control userpasswords2" in Start --> Run and uncheck the box to require passwords.

Grumpy

I had this same problem today, some old program had to install .NET 1.1 and I didn't remember how to remove it, so I brought back this old thread.
  13. That was such a good answer that I should be able to give it a Best Answer.
    Is there a way to do that Mods?
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Computers Windows XP