Closed

Anyone know any good hyper terminal software for IPAQ

August 5, 2005 6:11:30 AM

Hi there,

Just wanted to send AT commands to an external device. Have tried TTY
and vxHpc but having no luck. Is there some trick to it that I am not
doing correctly? I don't get any replies to my commands except when I
plug in and unplug devices.

I have an IPAQ with windows CE.

Many Thanks
Gareth Gray
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:15:46 PM

Gareth make sure you are using the correct terminal emulation in vxhpc. I
find that vt100 works well for just about everything I connect to (cisco
routers, intel switches, smartcards, etc). I input the terminal emulation
in the "Terminal ID" option listed on the telnet tab in vxhpc.

rights...

"graygareth" <graygareth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Just wanted to send AT commands to an external device. Have tried TTY
> and vxHpc but having no luck. Is there some trick to it that I am not
> doing correctly? I don't get any replies to my commands except when I
> plug in and unplug devices.
>
> I have an IPAQ with windows CE.
>
> Many Thanks
> Gareth Gray

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:16:01 PM

Also make sure you have the correct port selected... note that you
cannot select a card modem or other i/o card until after it is inserted.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 5, 2005 8:45:29 PM

Along with the other two suggestions, make sure you have the correct cable.
The usual serial sync cable is a null modem. You might need to add a null
modem to straighten it out.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
> Also make sure you have the correct port selected... note that you cannot
> select a card modem or other i/o card until after it is inserted.

August 8, 2005 7:20:10 AM

Hello there,

Thanks for the replies. I tried the null modem idea and got an instant
connection screen pop up on the unit. It connected as "115200 default"
connection. But the terminal emulator is till not working.
The item i'm connecting to has a 9600 baud so I'm not sure if this is
interfering with things or not. The TTY software does have the settings
set up right however at 9600 baud. The only response I am able to get
from the item is a square on the screen when I disconnect and reconnect
again. Does this sound familiar?? I have tried all sorts of settings on
the TTY emulator and still no luck. Almost there I think, at least I am
connecting now. I wonder if it is active sync that is causing the
problem? Any ideas?
Gareth Gray.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:19:45 PM

The message you describe is activesync... close activesync and continue.

strongly suggest using vxHPC as it is a fully featured terminal
program... can't help with tty as I don't have it.

More details such as what the "item" is and details about the cable
would help.

More info at http://BevHoward.com/serial.htm

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:09:12 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> The message you describe is activesync... close activesync and continue.
>
> strongly suggest using vxHPC as it is a fully featured terminal
> program... can't help with tty as I don't have it.
>
> More details such as what the "item" is and details about the cable
> would help.
>
> More info at http://BevHoward.com/serial.htm
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Hello Beverly,

I've tried disabling active sync but that doesn't work. I'll try vxHPC
again. TTY is much more basic but should haveenough for me. The "item"
is a "serial port extender" by name, we use them for environmental data
transfer from field sites back to base using GPRS technology. It is a
standard nine pin RS232 connection 18-1, 9600 baud.

Thanks
Gareth
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:09:30 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> The message you describe is activesync... close activesync and continue.
>
> strongly suggest using vxHPC as it is a fully featured terminal
> program... can't help with tty as I don't have it.
>
> More details such as what the "item" is and details about the cable
> would help.
>
> More info at http://BevHoward.com/serial.htm
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Hello Beverly,

I've tried disabling active sync but that doesn't work. I'll try vxHPC
again. TTY is much more basic but should haveenough for me. The "item"
is a "serial port extender" by name, we use them for environmental data
transfer from field sites back to base using GPRS technology. It is a
standard nine pin RS232 connection 18-1, 9600 baud.

Thanks
Gareth
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:39:23 PM

Sorry for my frustration, but it is really hard to divine what's going
on long distance without a lot more information. "Serial"
communications is subject to any part in the "series" being out of place
or wrong stopping any communication.

It _sounds_ like the device is establishing communciation on the wire
before the communication software being started and that _will_ wake up
activesync to attempt a sync connection.

It also sounds like you are assuming that you can establish a dual
connection... from the device to the com port to telnet to a cellular
connection... that would complicate the equation well beyond a simple
terminal program.

Please post the _exact_ steps and sequence you use from beginning to end
in your attempts to establish a com session.

Beyond that, it still doesn't sound like you have the wire and/or the
communciation parameters set correctly. The best way to do that is to
start hyperterminal on the PC, use a serial sync (null modem) cable and
establish a communication session with TTY _using the same parameters as
the device until you can type back and forth and see clear text on both
screens. Remember that you will have to switch back to a com (non
serial sync) connection when you return to the device.

You might also go into activesync on the ppc tools/options/enable and
uncheck it at least for the initial test phase.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:24:42 AM

1. I connect to the device and I get a 'windows' window pop up on the
screen telling me that I am connecting at 112500 baud, this is before I
have even started vxHpc. I only need 9600.
2. So I must have the right com port and I do need the null modem
adapter in the link.
3. I get the feeling that the baud set by windows on the ipaq is
overridding the baud set by vxHpc.
4. When I remove the cable from the serial port extender I get a square
on the screen, so the baud must be the problem but I have no way of
changing it.

I had written a huge message explaining exactly what I had been doing
but it got lost in logging in somewhere.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:31:05 PM

my sincere apologies, but I am personally unable to discern from any of
your posts (i.e. I have no idea of the exact steps you are taking, what
apps are running on which machine) and where (i.e. what processes) the
messages are coming from and what (i.e. the full and exact contents of
those dialogues.) We don't even know exactly what device you are using
and the os version it is running.

There is not enough information for me to patch together any picture of
what is and has transpired, so I am, unfortunately, unable to provide
any help.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 26, 2010 10:12:54 AM

I am using a generic testing tool from http://www.caerustech.com/UDT.php for various types of devices. A good thing about it is that you can save communication settings and also commands for each device (good if you have to ttest many diferent devices frequently because I get forgetful)

Peter
Anonymous
May 24, 2011 8:55:08 AM

I have Ipaq hx2790b
ROM Size = 320MB RAM=64MB
Processor = Intel PXA270 Rev C5

Somebody please help me how to install and use TTY

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices][/quotemsg]
June 2, 2011 9:12:29 AM

Hello Gareth,

any luck on sending AT command over TTY?
Please show me how to install TTY on Ipaq hx2790b, I have one and would like to talk to rs232 com port.

thanks in advance,

Jim

Quote:

Hi there,

Just wanted to send AT commands to an external device. Have tried TTY
and vxHpc but having no luck. Is there some trick to it that I am not
doing correctly? I don't get any replies to my commands except when I
plug in and unplug devices.

I have an IPAQ with windows CE.

Many Thanks
Gareth Gray