Sign in with
Your question

Difference between eVGA 8800GTX Superclocked and ACS3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2007 12:28:49 AM

Can someone please tell me the difference between these two cards other than 5MHz extra on the clock speed.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA657...

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA657...

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_ult...
These benchmarks show that the ACS3 version is pretty good, just want to know if it has anything special over the superclocked version warranting the extra $40
May 9, 2007 1:05:03 AM

In case you missed it, the ACS3 has a huge aftermarket cooler attached...temps are normally 5-10C lower.
May 9, 2007 1:16:07 AM

The ACS3 version has an improved cooling system. It helps a little bit with temperatures. That's pretty much it.

Plus, it looks as good as it can be. So stylish. 8)
Related resources
May 9, 2007 1:51:32 AM

And its longer than the original 8800GTX models. Doesn't fancy me. It may you if you have the room however. Otherwise the other 8800GTX looks fine to me.
May 9, 2007 2:17:25 AM

You mean "longer" shroud? Because the length of the card is the same, only the cooler's shroud is longer.
May 9, 2007 2:23:45 AM

Yeah the card is the same exact length just the plastic cover on top of the card is the full length instead ending right before the two power connectors like on the reference design. So if his case can fit a reference design case it can fit the ACS3.
May 9, 2007 7:24:35 AM

Quote:
...plastic cover on top of the card...

Correction, it is aluminum...not plastic. Very high quality. Plus if it were plasic, there would be zero bennefit for cooling.
May 9, 2007 12:07:06 PM

Thanks alot everybody. I think ill go with the Superclocked version then. Im going to get the Antec P180 so I dont think I have to worry too much about cooling.
May 9, 2007 1:11:39 PM

The P180 doesn't necessarily cool better than other cases. It is known for its silent operation (compared to other casings)

If you buy a P180 you are concerned by the noise level, therefore following that line of thought you should buy the card with the better cooler so that you can run its fan at a slower (more silent) speed.

If you don't want to get the card with the better cooler, then you are not concerned about noise level, so why not go for the better cooling Antec 900 instead?
May 9, 2007 1:31:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks alot everybody. I think ill go with the Superclocked version then. Im going to get the Antec P180 so I dont think I have to worry too much about cooling.

BTX, in order for the 8800GTX (any version) to fit in the P180, you'll need to remove/modify the upper HDD trays. I removed my entire upper cage. At a bare minimum, you'll need to modify the uppermost tray to allow clearance for the GTX's length.
May 9, 2007 1:46:50 PM

Quote:

BTX, in order for the 8800GTX (any version) to fit in the P180, you'll need to remove/modify the upper HDD trays. I removed my entire upper cage. At a bare minimum, you'll need to modify the uppermost tray to allow clearance for the GTX's length.

I have no problem with removing the middle HD bay. I only need 3 HDs in my system and I plan on putting them all on the bottom. So no worries there. Thanks for the heads up.
!