ActiveSync 3.8/4.0 Default Sync Setings (Registry)

August 5, 2005 9:13:30 PM

Hi There

We will be deploying a large number of Dell Axim X50's in our company, and
as such, I have been trying to automate the deployment as much as possible.

I have succeeded in modifying the Activsync installation to not install IE
favorites, and have set file sync to on default, favorites to off. and set
the default mail sync days to 30.

I did this by changing reg keys here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE
Services\Services\Synchronization\All

and here;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE
Services\SpecialDefaults\PocketPC

I do however want to set a few more default settings (for when a device
first syncs, less work for my Level 2 support people). That is:

Email:
Number of Lines synced for email
Attachment sync (and size)

Internet Explorer pass:
some way to disable DNS passthough on the device. We don't want users
surfing the web/using MSN on their devices, its against policy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Guys,

Henry Bosch
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:13:31 PM

Hello,

I'm not sure if it will do what you want, but check out Spb's Spb Clone.
You can get information on it at
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/clone/?en and they have a demo of
it as well.

If I remember correctly, Clone requires you set up one P/PC the way you want
it then can force that "image" to the other devices. The trick of course is
you have to have that first one setup (which I don't think Clone will help
you do).

Hope this helps,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Henners" <terminalx82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi There
>
> We will be deploying a large number of Dell Axim X50's in our company, and
> as such, I have been trying to automate the deployment as much as
> possible.
>
> I have succeeded in modifying the Activsync installation to not install IE
> favorites, and have set file sync to on default, favorites to off. and set
> the default mail sync days to 30.
>
> I did this by changing reg keys here:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE
> Services\Services\Synchronization\All
>
> and here;
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE
> Services\SpecialDefaults\PocketPC
>
> I do however want to set a few more default settings (for when a device
> first syncs, less work for my Level 2 support people). That is:
>
> Email:
> Number of Lines synced for email
> Attachment sync (and size)
>
> Internet Explorer pass:
> some way to disable DNS passthough on the device. We don't want users
> surfing the web/using MSN on their devices, its against policy.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks Guys,
>
> Henry Bosch

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:31:35 PM

Thanks Clinton

This may help with another issue, and that is the auto deployment of the
Trust Digital security suite on all devices..

However, sync settings are all stored on the Local Computer, not the PDA, so
this causes problems.

I have deterimined that some settings (once a device is synced) come from
various keys under here;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

and a file called repl.dat? in here C:\Documents and
Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\PROFILE\

As per my previous post, it is evident that some of the initial settings
come from the HKLM location, and I need to find out what keys, or which file
to modify so that new partnerships created on a PC will have a default group
of activesync settings.

Thanks,

Henry

!